Computer Science HL for someone with no experience?

Avril

Hello!

Unfortunately my school does not offer the science classes that I would like to take (Physics HL or Chem HL), but I'd still like to take one of my group 4 classes as an HL.

That being said, the only two options are Bio HL and Computer Science HL, and Bio is absolutely not an option (I'd give the teacher an F--- if I could!). However, while computer science sounds interesting to me, I have absolutely no experience or knowledge of this subject whatsoever and I'm a bit worried about signing up for it.

For the moment, I'm signed up for IB Physics SL, Business HL, and Economics HL (amongst my others), but in the case that I do decide to take computer science I'd switch it with business.

My question is this:

Would anyone who is in the class/taken it tell me what they think about it/what kinds of things you do on a regular basis, and if they'd recommend having prior experience before taking it? Also, does anyone know any good (preferably free) online courses/videos that sort of give an insight into computer science that I could look at?

On the whole, math isn't necessarily but I'm pretty solid in the basics. Does computer programming require quite a bit of math? I'll be in math SL next year.

Thanks for educating a newbie :)

Also, does anyone know any good (preferably free) online courses/videos that sort of give an insight into computer science that I could look at?

I have taken a course in HTML and CSS at http://www.codecademy.com/ and it is great (I`m going to buy books to learn more HTML, CSS and other languages). They also offer PHP, Javascript, Ruby, and 2 others, cant remember which ones though. But I would definatley encourage you to get into programming, it is such a great skill to have in a increasingly digital world. If you get good at it you can even land a freelance job while in college? I`ve heard, don`t remember where, that within 2020/2030(?) there will be 1million tech jobs, but only 400 000 people qualified for the jobs. Another reason to program is being able to come up with an idea, program it, and share it with millions of people, no other generation before us could have done that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfBWk4nw440 btw here is a TED talk on why you should learn to program, this video is what got me fired up to learn how to program.

I didn`t really answer your main question, but my advice can`t hurt I guess... Good luck with making the descision.

BTW: Codeschool.com is another website to learn programming, I haven`t tried it, but codecademy looks waaaay better, but you can check out both.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am actually in Computer Science at the moment and I can say that it is really great. I really love the subject and content. Do not learn HTML or javascript maybe a bit of python would help from code academy because you will most likely learn java, not javascript, there is a difference.

Download the java programming program named eclipse (free) and watch youtube videos, follow a series to learn basics of applets, loops, applications, arrays, constructors etc.

On the maths topic I do maths studies and I am still doing well in Comp science. It requires more logic than pure maths.

• 8 months later...

I am currently the only IB student in Norway doing Computer Science HL.
I have some background in programming and computer architecture. 

However, there are two others in my class doing SL, and they are doing all fine. They had no background and is not struggling at all to keep up. 

I think that if you want to do HL, you will need to be motivated to work, because there is a lot of work. Any background in programming is not needed. We are doing Object-oriented programming as an option, but it is very doable without any background. 

What you should know, however, is some basic computer architecture and generally how the computer works. 

Know your math and have a good ability to think logically. 

I agree with Lachy, HTML, CSS and javascript is not part of the syllabus unless you do the option that includes this. Get a book on Java, NOT javascript and do some basics. I can suggest Beginning Programming with Java for Dummies. It is a very nicely written book that covers the first 4 months of Computer Science. 

Good luck!