SL Bio or SL Chem?

luisa852

Hello guys,

I'm going into IB1 in September and I'm not sure which science to take. I don't plan to go into Science at University, so I'll just study one as an SL course.

Should I take Bio or Chem?

I'm pretty good at memorising, but my other IB courses will be hard so I'd rather have the easier Science course that's less work.

This year I took a grade 10 course that had a section for bio, chem and physics and I did really well in all of them (97%), so I'm thinking about chosing Chem because it's more logical than Bio.

Is chem harder than bio from your experience?

Thanks!!

Luisa

I did both at HL - Biology is more memorisation based and Chemistry is more concept based. Choosing which one you do at HL depends on your strengths and on your personal preferences. Also, if you're not planning on studying science at university, why not drop to just one SL science and do 2 languages or humanities instead (whichever you prefer/need for uni)? I hope this helps :)

Edited by sameera95
  • Like 1

Both are relatively easy and straight-forward at SL, which leaves out most of the hard topics from the HL course. SL biology is regarded to be slightly easier than SL chemistry, but SL chemistry isn't that hard at all. Since you said you're good at memorizing, biology is pretty much all memorization, so if you want to take that route you can. Likewise chemistry is some memorization + some problem solving, so if you'd prefer that, take chemistry.

Given what you've told us about yourself, I don't think you'll really go wrong in either case.

Hi!

I had a similar problem last year and took Chemistry SL.

I don't know the syllabus but my friends from Biology SL seem to complain a lot at the subject as it requires lots of rather useless memorisation.

On the other hand, Chemistry SL is pretty straight-forward and everybody in my group seems to enjoy it. I don't have great problems with understanding the material, even though I've always considered myself awful at sciences.

I think that Chemistry SL is a great subject for people who aren't very "sciencey-minded" but still want a challenge. :) Truly a well-designed course.

So if you have decent math skills and aren't that into memorisation, I definitely recommend Chemistry SL. :)

• Like 1