How good are 37 points (out of 42)? Where do you think they (the points) can take me?

Kv19971

Hey
So I'm done with my first year of IB (Grade 11) and received my result for the second semester about an hour ago. Happily or sadly, I've managed to score 37 points (Keep in mind that these points are ONLY for the second semester. My average score for both the semesters is 34/42).

Here's the break-up:
English (Lang and Lit) SL : 7

French B SL : 5

Math HL : 5

Computer Science HL : 7

Physics HL : 7

Business HL : 6

I have ambivalent feelings towards my scores. Although they seem high, I'm not really sure if I'm cut out to be one of the best or above-average IB students since many I know have scored between 34-38 points and there are a few who have got 39 or above.

Now my question might seem vague so just bear with me : How great are 37/42 points in IB and where can they take me? (Keep in mind that I have an SAT score of 2000 and am looking for unis in the US).

Edited by Kv19971

Hi!

I guess you can check the statistical bulletins from IBO website to check how your score compares with scores of others.

They are here:

http://www.ibo.org/facts/statbulletin/dpstats/index.cfm

From what I can see 37 points is way over average and would place you in at least 33% of best students (this would be for November 2012 session though, I haven't checked other bulletins).

Best of luck! :)

Edited by Sceptyczka
  • Like 1

37 points is definitely not something to complain about. To put it into context Oxford University in the UK requires 38 points, so 37 will definitely give you the possibility of getting into some good programs. Keep in mind though that predicted grades don't guarantee anything, and ultimately you will have to perform well on your exams.

• Like 1

37 points is definitely not something to complain about. To put it into context Oxford University in the UK requires 38 points, so 37 will definitely give you the possibility of getting into some good programs. Keep in mind though that predicted grades don't guarantee anything, and ultimately you will have to perform well on your exams.

These aren't my predicted grades; these are the grades that I've RECEIVED for the 2nd semester of my first year of IB (although I'm not sure if these grades and my predicted grades are exclusive).

In addition, since I am applying to colleges in the US (as mentioned above), I won't probably have to deal with conditional offers.

These aren't my predicted grades; these are the grades that I've RECEIVED for the 2nd semester of my first year of IB (although I'm not sure if these grades and my predicted grades are exclusive).

In addition, since I am applying to colleges in the US (as mentioned above), I won't probably have to deal with conditional offers.

No, they're still predicted. You haven't RECEIVED anything from the IBO, until you sit your exams and cw is submitted.

If you're applying exclusively to the US, it doesn't matter as much as SAT and ACT results do.

• Like 5

Hey

So I'm done with my first year of IB (Grade 11) and received my result for the second semester about an hour ago. Happily or sadly, I've managed to score 37 points (Keep in mind that these points are ONLY for the second semester. My average score for both the semesters is 34/42).

Here's the break-up:

I have ambivalent feelings towards my scores. Although they seem high, I'm not really sure if I'm cut out to be one of the best or above-average IB students since many I know have scored between 34-38 points and there are a few who have got 39 or above.

Now my question might seem vague so just bear with me : How great are 37/42 points in IB and where can they take me? (Keep in mind that I have an SAT score of 2000 and am looking for unis in the US).

37/42 points is between 37 and 40 once you add in your bonus points. So we'll work under the assumption that you fall in this range.

Its a fairly decent score, and with an SAT score of ~2000, you can get into the "mid-upper" tier of US universities, to go on a purely rank based comparison.

Now it seems to me that you want to be an excellent IB student - so I'm assuming you want to get into the best possible university.

To put it plainly, you'd want to both figures to be near the top end. The guys in my school who ended up going to MIT weren't academic crazed know-it-alls (in fact, they would frequently be playing with their tech toys), but that's because their academics were simply always just "settled", if that makes sense. They were the types that would get full marks on tests after studying a little bit. They were the guys who got something like 2350 on their SATs on the first try, and then full marks on the second. Also, their IB scores were close to 45.

Essentially, you can get into the mid-upper tier of universities, but no higher with your current scores.

I'm sorry if that sounds very discouraging and/or elitist, but you asked.

What's important, however, that you're not stuck in any type of false reality. It'd be pretty messed up if you listen to everyone saying you have great scores, applying to only the best universities and then receiving only rejections. I'm not saying that grades are the only thing that matter (they're actually one of the least used discriminators by the top universities), but this is because everyone applying has near-perfect scores.

I hope you manage your expectations accordingly, or work towards whatever uni you would like.

• Like 6

Hey

Here's the break-up:

37/42 points is between 37 and 40 once you add in your bonus points. So we'll work under the assumption that you fall in this range.

Its a fairly decent score, and with an SAT score of ~2000, you can get into the "mid-upper" tier of US universities, to go on a purely rank based comparison.

Now it seems to me that you want to be an excellent IB student - so I'm assuming you want to get into the best possible university.

To put it plainly, you'd want to both figures to be near the top end. The guys in my school who ended up going to MIT weren't academic crazed know-it-alls (in fact, they would frequently be playing with their tech toys), but that's because their academics were simply always just "settled", if that makes sense. They were the types that would get full marks on tests after studying a little bit. They were the guys who got something like 2350 on their SATs on the first try, and then full marks on the second. Also, their IB scores were close to 45.

Essentially, you can get into the mid-upper tier of universities, but no higher with your current scores.

I'm sorry if that sounds very discouraging and/or elitist, but you asked.

What's important, however, that you're not stuck in any type of false reality. It'd be pretty messed up if you listen to everyone saying you have great scores, applying to only the best universities and then receiving only rejections. I'm not saying that grades are the only thing that matter (they're actually one of the least used discriminators by the top universities), but this is because everyone applying has near-perfect scores.

I hope you manage your expectations accordingly, or work towards whatever uni you would like.

Your post isn't discouraging - mid-upper tier sounds like a realistic estimate.

Ill be giving my SAT again (In october) and my SAT II (in November).

There is still about a half-year left for me to increase the 37 to, say, 39 or 40, but I guess that is the highest it will go.

I hope this increasing trend will be looked upon favourably by the unis.

:)

It really depends on your SAT score, your essays and your extracurriculars. with a 2000 SAT score, 37 IB and great extracurriculars, you are looking at top 30. remember to fully utilize ED, depending on what your major is.

Edited by Victor L

I find the answers in response to your post to be extremely discouraging, demoralizing and to some extent frivolous. Notwithstanding, the point about elevating your SAT scores is imperative in matriculating to a top-tier university. Given that you have awards, ECAs and essays as good as the rest of your applicants, your IB core grade of 37 will still permit your consideration at these schools. Firstly the Diploma principal at my school, an alum of UPENN, told us that a score of 36 can lead to enrollment in the IVY league conglomerate. Keep in mind that Brown, Stanford and other schools give credits for 5s in your HL. 5s!!! They also take into account the rigor of your workload and 7s in two of the hardest HLs is definitely commendable. Not only that but a 5 in the language is also taken into consideration which works in your favor. On a side not, how are you getting a 6 in the easiest Hls then :P?

Anyways a 37 alone in the core definitely keeps you in contention whilst your subjects definitely accentuate your competitiveness. Again, your SAT needs to improve but assuming you can do that, you will definitely be able to get into a few of the top schools in the WORLD!! This again is coming from personal experience whereas i had similar grades to you but i explained it off and due to fortuitous circumstances, i was still able to get into a great school. My school did not inflate my predicted like other schools (student predicted 44, ended with 28) so in that respect i was put at a disadvantage, but im glad as it puts less stress on achieving your predicted final grades. Continue doing you, improve on your SAT (I recommend the ACT) and get those essays where they need to be and you will be fine. 

I find the answers in response to your post to be extremely discouraging, demoralizing and to some extent frivolous. Notwithstanding, the point about elevating your SAT scores is imperative in matriculating to a top-tier university. Given that you have awards, ECAs and essays as good as the rest of your applicants, your IB core grade of 37 will still permit your consideration at these schools. Firstly the Diploma principal at my school, an alum of UPENN, told us that a score of 36 can lead to enrollment in the IVY league conglomerate. Keep in mind that Brown, Stanford and other schools give credits for 5s in your HL. 5s!!! They also take into account the rigor of your workload and 7s in two of the hardest HLs is definitely commendable. Not only that but a 5 in the language is also taken into consideration which works in your favor. On a side not, how are you getting a 6 in the easiest Hls then :P?

Anyways a 37 alone in the core definitely keeps you in contention whilst your subjects definitely accentuate your competitiveness. Again, your SAT needs to improve but assuming you can do that, you will definitely be able to get into a few of the top schools in the WORLD!! This again is coming from personal experience whereas i had similar grades to you but i explained it off and due to fortuitous circumstances, i was still able to get into a great school. My school did not inflate my predicted like other schools (student predicted 44, ended with 28) so in that respect i was put at a disadvantage, but im glad as it puts less stress on achieving your predicted final grades. Continue doing you, improve on your SAT (I recommend the ACT) and get those essays where they need to be and you will be fine. 

I was unaware that telling someone the truth of the matter is "discouraging". As you might have noticed in the second to last paragraph of my answer, I said:

"What's important, however, that you're not stuck in any type of false reality. It'd be pretty messed up if you listen to everyone saying you have great scores, applying to only the best universities and then receiving only rejections. I'm not saying that grades are the only thing that matter (they're actually one of the least used discriminators by the top universities), but this is because everyone applying has near-perfect scores."

This still stands. 

If the OP wishes to get into a top university, then he has to work extremely hard for it - including getting perfect grades. It is the lowest barrier to cross. Unless one is a demonstrable genius (academic contributions to the field OP is interested in, new inventions, exceptional mental capacity), a potential student has to have great results. This is, of course, discounting anyone who gets in due to non-academic reasons like being really good at football or something. 

Edited by Award Winning Boss
Please remain respectful to other members.
  • Like 2

My University Councillor told us that although the top US Colleges are primarily focussed on SAT results, they look at scores above 40 in a very positive light. This is 40/45, so I guess that means if you ace your EE and TOK than you could be in with a shout. 

Ha, I really thought that I had posted about this on here before, but it appears that I haven't! So I'll try and write up what I thought I had written before.

37/42 is definitely a respectable score, and if you can pull off the 3 bonus points (which you definitely have time to work on) then a score of 40/45 is good. Along with your SAT score of 2000 those are some decent results. Pair your academic results with stellar essays and great extra-curricular activities and you would be getting into some good universities. 

However, if you're looking at the top Ivy League universities or other top-tier universities like MIT, I would agree that you would generally need higher IB and SAT scores - unless you happen to be an elite athlete or something, in which case you are in luck. :) As has been mentioned above, brilliant academic records are sort of the minimum requirement. Universities can pretty ruthlessly cull people who under-achieve academically - and then they can start culling the people who have the near-perfect scores. Personally, I got rejected from 3 out of the 4 schools I applied to (Harvard, Yale, Stanford - though they are wait-listing me) and I had pretty good SAT scores as well. 

In the end though, if you really do want to try your luck with the elite universities, then you can give it a go. Admission processes are meant to be holistic so, even though statistically it may seem very very difficult, you still have the chance of getting in. You don't need to get a minimum IB score of 44 for admission, unlike some undergraduate law courses in Australia I can name. However, do bear in mind that if you are going to be applying for 'reach' options that you should also apply for less competitive institutions where you have a greater chance of getting in to minimise disappointment. Also - and this is my biggest tip - nail all those application essays. You want to make yourself seem as special an individual as you possibly can - even if you feel as though you are being a bit self-centred at times - and polishing those essays to perfection can really help. Of course, this is along with improving your academic scores.

Best of luck! US applications can be an absolute nightmare, but they too shall pass. :)

• Like 3

37/42 is a good score. That being said, it is definitely not an eye-popping, absolutely oustanding score like a 41 or 42 out of 42, and can definitely be improved. Try to get your 2 5s to 6s- it probably won't help admission too much, but I doubt any university in the world has ever said, "Let's reject this kid, he has too many 7s and 6s and not enough 5s."

Definitely improve your SAT scores, a 2000 is at the 25th percentile or lower at most of the top universities in the USA, though it's still a good score.

It's worth noting though, that in the top US universities academics aren't really too important- you need to have them excellently done but they don't get you accepted, they're more of a reason to not reject you yet. Your extracurriculars and essays are a lot more important in admissions.  

Do apply to safety schools which you know you have a good chance of getting into, would be able to afford and would like to attend if admitted there and rejected other places. 

All in all, it is possible with your grades but not probable. Nonetheless, good luck! 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

will a 2250 in SAT and 42 in IB be good enough?

Only if you can write good personal essays, get excellent recommendation letters from your teachers, and have a list of substantial extracurricular activities (officer of a club, 100+ service hours at a single place, part time job, involved team activity). Then you stand a chance at the top universities. Otherwise no because no university will admit an academic robot who only goes to school, studies, and does nothing else.

• Like 1

Well done on improving heaps from semester one to semester two! Don't worry if your first semester results were worse than then next because you have obviously since improved. I got my end of semester 1 report today ahah! 37 is actually a really good score considering that the mean IB score is 30/45 and somewhere around 20% of people don't achieve the diploma (>24). Also you have no scores less than 5 and if 4 is considered satisfactory then all of your results are good for each subject