Gaining Action hours for CAS

Rentle

Love the title of your thread, pretty funny if taken in the innuendo sense :D

I got around 32 hours of Action from a 4 day cycling trip on an island. Maybe you can look into that? I dunno if that's feasible in Chile, but maybe a weekend or 2 you can just go into the nature, and maybe even take a few friends with you?

And to convince your IBC to count the hours if you're going alone, maybe take a video of the trip? Or take pictures along the way.

I sooo read this the wrong way... must get my mind out of the gutter!

Hah, okay when I did IB I organize this concert and I counted all the time I spent running around on stage getting things together as action :)

There's tons of ways to get action hours, just gotta spin it in the right way :D

I'm not certain if they have it in your country but I got my Action hours through air cadets. There's also sea cadets or military cadets if you prefer. You don't have to join the forces if you join it's just something to kill time and that goes towards your CAS hours. You learn plenty of useless stuff and can potentially get big scholarships and travel the world through them. I also got my Creative for joining the band there. Now I just need Service *cries* Good luck. Now I'm off to finish WL...*cries more*

i went on a camping trip with my school

(if your school offers trips like these, you should join)

because, in 3 days, i got a good 30 hours of action, and i also had a teacher supervisor to sign for me.

also, the teachers in my school tend to like to exxagerate hours for us ib students (for example, i probably could have gotten 50 action hours if i needed it)

i hope this advice helps!

Action?

Jog every day (or week).

Play a team sport.

Dance with friends to improve your skills.

You don't need more than 50 hours for action (for most people). So if you do one of the above for 2 hours a week, you'll be done in 6 months.

But how does jugging work?

I thought you needed a supervisor.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you really need to do anything medical oriented at this point to get into medical school later. Focus on completing your CAS in whatever way you can because most medical schools won't require it at this age (as far as I know anyway). But if you're looking for something medical oriented to do, you could try shadowing your local GP. It won't count for CAS, but it's medically oriented and could help with recommendations etc. If he's agreeable, maybe you could help him out as a receptionist or something? That would count for CAS as long as you're not being paid.

I like the title of this thread :P

hehe, okay anyways.

Hmm, does your school do blood drives? I get my Action hours from that; just by helping out. It counts for action. Teach some people how to play sports :) If there's a sport club at your school, join that. Is there any walk-a-thons where you live? If there are, you can probably get all of your hours done EASY as cake ;)

Anything that takes a long time, like hikes, trail rides, mountaineering (are there volcanoes in Chile?). I'm not sure how much time you have, but I signed up for netball, and that is an hour of training and an hour of play time per week for two terms, so I got about 40 hours. Search activities in your local area online.

My hours for Action is the most compared to the rest.

I constantly go to my Taekwondo training every Tuesday night and get 2 hours per training.

In one month I got 8 hours. In 5 months, 40 hours.

Plus a few other sports, it should be okay to collect 60 hours altogether.

I'd like to know what you guys think would be the quickest, funnest, etc way to get 30 Action hours. I'm missing those 30 A hours and I'd be done with CAS! =]

30 hours isn't really that 'easy' to get, but fun is easy to factor into A hours. Pick a sport you like or maybe your friends do and say is fun, then join a social team. These teams are really relaxed and there is no pressure, it usually can relieve some of that deadline stress. You also get to meet new people. Say something like netball. There is no pressure and you get to get fit and play a great game all the while having fun doing it! Social teams are a great way to make the action hours clock up without you even realising.

Haha. I get my Action through "jogging". Yes, that is possible. My neighbour is "supervising" me :unsure:

:0

I wish I had thought of that!

I think I clocked in over 400 hrs in the end of my CAS adventure, but I sooooo could have have 500+ hrs if I had done that haha.

Damn.

However, I don't think my school would approve it though :/

Ah well, it's done >.<

Edited by Jewelianna

• 2 weeks later...
What are you doing as part of CAS?

i do

singing, volunteering at an orphanage and i do things like MUN and Amnesty International. i would like to study medicine, does anybody have any suggestions of what i should do that relates to what i would like to study? (medicine)

I suggest you to do lots of hospital attachment since you want to further in medicine. This also may help you during the medical interview.

I'm planning to take medic too.