Gaining Action hours for CAS

Rentle

I get my service hours from volunteering at a local hospital, as well as at leadership conferences. We're actually organizing 30 hour famine at our school this year, so i'll be getting major hours for that :P . If you have the time, you should really start up a volunteering club (our school has Interact), for easy service. Check this link: http://www.rotary.org/en/studentsandyouth/.../ridefault.aspx for info on the types of things that Interact covers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi there, ;]

There's a problem that bugs me all the time: action hours. Throughout the previous year this section was the one containing the smallest amount of hours (while creativity and service had more than enough). So, I'm asking for your help here. What kind of good and recognised activities are known to earn plenty of cas hours every month? Just brainstorm them randomly. ;]

Volunteer at a kids' sports camp XD

(That's what I did)

• 2 weeks later...

fyi, gym class at school is never supposed to be counted as CAS. you can never count anything that is a class that you are greded on at school, so art classes etc. are also off limits. my teacher even said that you can't count things like bowling, because he claims that it isn't really CAS worty action if you can do better when you're drunk.

most of the kids in my grade organize IB flag football (american football, sorry) on some weekends. you could always organize other sports like that for your group, that way everyone gets CAS, there are witnesses to their action, and it also bonds you as a group.

you might even be able to count it as service, because your participation is helping others achieve their goals and get CAS

i got most of my hours from marching band. i'm in the colorguard (the girls running around with flags during american football half-time shows) and got major credit.

Edited by ibapiggie

You can do what I'm doing (well what I WAS doing untill I had a stupid surgery and had to stop... :) ) but anyway you can start a running program - make your goal to run a race or something, and then just run every other day for half an hour - you'll have like 20 hours in a month. But some schools only allow you to get 10 hours per activity, which is where this activity comes really in handy - you say something like : I want to run a marathon, and then in the middle (or in the beginning but either way you need to consider it a seperate activity) you decide that you want to also, say, improve your strength, so you also do strength training for 15 minutes or something like that. Also swimming, tennis and ice skating are really easy and fun ways to get cas. If you do it once a week, you're fine. Good luck!

p.s. gah I can't wait till I can start action again!!! haha.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to admit that I have/had the same problem with Action hours...

Now... I have 300. The trick for this is to join programmes. I did the Duke of Edinburgh's programme and went on a trip to Thailand.

I got 115 hours for it! Also, I tried out various activities.

One of the life-changing activities I tried was football refereeing. I really enjoyed it and now I plan to take it as a professional career starting next year. I referee all school matches now and I find it a load of fun...

• 3 weeks later...

Theatre is a fun way of getting action hours.

So you could help with set construction, be apart of the stage crew, or help out with strike. You could do this with your school of at a local community theatre if you have one.

I earned 57 action hours just by being apart of stage crew and helping with strike for only one production.

• 4 weeks later...

What are you doing as part of CAS?

i do

singing, volunteering at an orphanage and i do things like MUN and Amnesty International. i would like to study medicine, does anybody have any suggestions of what i should do that relates to what i would like to study? (medicine)

i dont know about where you live but i think it would be helpful for you to volunteer as a nurse after getting some sort of qualification at maybe hospitals, red cross or crescent. it d help you get your hands on the real deal. :P