Bio or Chem?

IBgrl28x

Okay, so I need help deciding which class to take in conjuction with IB Physics next year: IB Bio or IB Chem. I love all types of science, so this is a hard decision for me, but I have to make it soon considering school is starting in 3 weeks. I have an interest in both bio and chem, so here is some more info on my background. Last year in science research, I conducted a project correlating ionospheric waves patterns to weather disturbances. I recentley attended a biotechnology summer camp, and conduccted research relating to the genetic link to autism. I am currently interested in furthering my research in autism. In school, I have take both honors bio and honors chem. I basically received the same grades in both classes, and find different aspects of each subject quite interesting. Overall, I feel that I chemistry comes easy to me, and bio is interesting for research. I am interested in pursuing some kind of engineering in college (perhaaps biomedical). Which class do you think is better suited for me, considering my future goals and interests? I am also taking IB Psych next year so could that be similar to bio (should I take chem so I have a little bit of both in my schedule). Please help me make the best decision!

Edited by IBgrl28x

I agree with inthemaking, especially if chem comes easier to you. You could always sit in on the bio classes if your schedule and teacher permit. I did that with higher level danish classes who were non-ib. The only bio you'll learn in psych is brain, hormones, neurotransmitters etc. So if that's what your most interested in (autism) then you'll be getting the best of both worlds. You can also get the Option E: Neurobiology study guide on this forum which should be right up your alley :lol: .

Bio and physics is an odd combination, as you will probebly never need them both for uni (or when you will, you also need chemistry)
So i would say go for chem, it is the logical choice according to me.
Also on my school it is easier to get high grades in chem, but that might be different for you.
But for uni i think that everyone can agree with that the logical combination is physics and chem.

Go for Chemistry. It has a lot in common with physics (especially in the modern days). Moreover, you'll have more opportunities to find a place in various engineering spacialties. All in all, the rest is upon you. Think calmly and decide on the optimal choice.

Yup Chem. I think chem is a huge prerequisite for uni, either that or it is needed for quite a bit of prerequisites.

I'm not too sure whether you would take up a subject so that you could do your EE on a topic you enjoy...........but that's another option: take Bio if you desperately want to do your EE in Bio.

AURON

im taking both actually, HL bio and HL chem
i'm not sure if it's because my school has hired pretty IB-inexperienced teacher or what not, but both are fairly doable - meaning, at the same time. (honestly though, my bio teacher is very inexperienced, and so its mostly a self study class for me)
whereas i have an excellent teacher for chemistry - makes my learning very easy.

if you're more of a logical, straightforward, must memorize person, id say go for bio.
whereas if you're more of a creative, i-can-imagine-molecules-in-my-head kind of a person, id say go for chem.
otherwise, both are the same. im not really sure about either subject exam-wise, for i would have to take them this spring, but so far from my year 1 experience, both are funn ;) !

• 4 weeks later...

Well, 3 months ago when we had to choose our options, I had the same problem as you. I was gonna choose Psychology but then I realised that I love all 3 of them too much to put any down.. And besides, I want to do Medicine/Biomedicine/Biomedical Engineering in Uni so I will probably need all three.

I would recommend Chemistry, coz it's harder than Biology (Bio's all about memorising lol) so it will be harder to pick up. And Chemistry will be more useful/interesting too:)