Business and Management Coursework - HELP!

For the B&M IA, I highly recommend you pick a local business because it's a lot easier to gather data for, and you can develop a better knowledge of the whole business.

A lot of people in my class used their parents' business. But if your parents don't have a business, then think about other relatives - aunts, uncles, cousins, and also whether any friends, basically any person you know owns a business, then try asking them if you could use their business for your coursework. If the answer is still no, don't worry! I knew nobody who had a business either.

What I did then was basically approached every business in my local suburb asking whether I could use their business for my IA (mention how there's benefits for you and them if they seem really unsure). I did get rejected like 5 or so times, but I did end up finding a nice little business with a lovely owner who was willing to help me out. This whole process only took me about 1-2 hours, but I think if you do something similar, and ask really nicely, you'll hopefully eventually find a business. :)

Once you have found a business, it's time to come up with a research question. Firstly, talk to the owner/person and try and see if they have any problems, or significant weaknesses with their business now, and whether there's anything that needs to be analysed. Alternatively, perhaps they are a small business, but they're looking to grow - maybe you could analyse a future strategic growth plan that they're thinking of (e.g. opening up a second store, expanding their product range, etc.).

So I hope all this helps you! The main priority for you right now is to go out and really make an effort to find a business. If you spend some time on it, I feel that you can accomplish finding a business in a day or two. Best of luck with your B&M coursework. :)

Edited by bluedino
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...