Predicted vs Final Grades for US Unis

Rasad

Hello guys,

I am finishing IB1 with not very good grades so it is very unlikely to have ~40 predicted points by November of next year which implies that it will be very hard (practically impossible) to get in top-universities in US as they take in consideration only predicted grades.

As the summer is approaching, I am planning to study hard so I can, hopefully, pass better in IB2. I am confident that in the final exams of next year I will achieve good grades, however that is not the case with the predicted grades which I will be getting in November because there is very short time to show my effort & improvement.

So, my question is: Let's say I get a predicted ~36 in November so I get into an average Uni, but then in May I get all 6-7s in the final exams -- will I be able to use those grades in any way to get into a better US university in September of next year, or should I take a gap year and then apply the next year?

You sound too pessimistic buddy. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but US unis generally don't care about IB final marks or the predicted marks. Although it is "formally" frowned upon, you can omit your AP/IB marks without any sort of penalty when it comes to self-reporting admissions. When I was applying, it was kind of like an option on the application (Not a mandatory field) and my teachers just BSed my predictions because almost no one in Canada needs it anyway. I think what would matter more is your school grades (gpa) and extra curricular. 

Short answer: I doubt taking a gap year would help. 

I think that the answer really does depend on what kind of university you're aiming for. As mentioned above, US universities do use other means (SAT, essays, extra-curricular activities) so you don't necessarily have to stress too much about your predicted grades. However, as far as I know most of the top universities don't reconsider new applicants after final results have come out, so if you are dead set on the very elite universities you can consider a gap year. Having said that, I think it's probably best to send off your applications to a range of US universities (both really competitive and not so much), evaluate what offers you get, and then from there consider if you want to re-apply with final grades after a gap year. 

• Like 1

Apply to a range of US unis this year, top to mid. You don't have to submit your predicted scores, you can show them your semester marks. If you do greatly improve in the first semester of IB2, you can submit those transcripts and write in your college essays that while you struggled in IB1, your marks show a clear upward trend now that you're applying yourself to your studies. If you had a legitimate reason for less-than-ideal marks in IB1 that will help a lot too.

US Unis also care a great deal about the 'whole package'. Having success with a sport or extracurricular activity or volunteer work helps a lot as well.

US Universities look at your school grade (GPA/Percentage) / SAT Scores  above your predicted IB grade (in fact, many don't even look at it). As the people above said, they assess each applicant pretty comprehensively (you have extracurriculars, recommendation, essays and awards too). Many countries only care about academic achievement, but that can't be said for top us universities.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably saying the same as everyone else, but US universities focus on your semester grades, not on your predicted, or on your final grades. That being said, if you want course credit for your HL's, a score of 6 or 7 is required for the best universities.