To take Math HL or not

Supriya Kumble

Hello :)

I'm going to be starting IB in about a month and a half and I'm facing a dilemma on whether I should take Math HL or stick to Math SL. I've taken Bio, Chem and Psychology as my HLs and I'm planning on doing a degree in either Psychology, Biomed or Biotech. Will it be beneficial if I take Math HL or is it okay if I stick to SL? Also, my grades for Math have been average, around 70 - 80%. Please help me make a choice :)
Thank you.

Well if you are in India, math is one of the main aspects of the curriculum there, so I think it would be beneficial for you to take Math HL? I honestly don't know how good a 70-80% is. Also have you taken a quick look at the math hl topics?

Edited by Maple

I have taken a look at the math HL topics. I mean, sure I can cope with them but I don't know if I can score above a 5. Plus, there's a 90% chance I'm not going to be continuing in India, you need different requirements for undergrad and if I want to do anything in the science field, I have to take Physics which is an absolute no no. 

It's said that math HL is a really difficult, but if you want a challenge and do well in Math SL it shouldn't be too much of a Problem. I don't know if you want to go to uni in India or not and I'm not sure about the requirements at Indian unis. What I do know is that Maths SL should be enough for the majority of the courses at Unis in the UK, but if you want to do something scientific Maths HL is recommended (and sometimes even requirement).

Anyway, it will defenitely be benificial for you to Switch to maths HL if you think you can do well and are comfortable with it.

If you want to go into Psychology or Biomed, any math level that isn't Math Studies will be fine. If you're applying to US universities you might consider taking HL to show that you're challenging yourself but if you don't think you can do well in it then don't do it. 

Good luck!

Hello :)

I'm going to be starting IB in about a month and a half and I'm facing a dilemma on whether I should take Math HL or stick to Math SL. I've taken Bio, Chem and Psychology as my HLs and I'm planning on doing a degree in either Psychology, Biomed or Biotech. Will it be beneficial if I take Math HL or is it okay if I stick to SL? Also, my grades for Math have been average, around 70 - 80%. Please help me make a choice :)

Thank you.

Hey! Did you do the CBSE? I did the CBSE Grade 10 (the beginning at least), and math HL is a huge step up from Grade 10 math. In CBSE, most of the questions are of types you've seen before, but in math HL tests, that's only true for the first few questions. Plus, CBSE doesn't cover all of the prior knowledge (equations of lines aren't even done until Grade 11 in CBSE). If you're willing to put the effort into learning the prior knowledge, go ahead and take it :)! Else, stick to SL! It's your choice though :)

Hi, I took Maths HL for all of last year and I'm glad I'm doing SL now! I found the pace of the classes difficult to keep up with because new content has to be learnt very quickly.

However, don't be put off by this as I would recommend at least trying HL, and then switching to SL if it becomes too much. After all, you really need to do more research into university requirements, as well as take into account how your other subjects are going.

You can get into most courses with just Maths SL, and if you are thinking of applying to say the UK for medicine, the really top notch placements, (Oxford, Cambridge) require a 7, 7, 6 for your HL subjects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you think you can make it, I'll say go for it. I had the same dilemma but I chose Math SL because I though it would be easier and I would have much more time and energy for other stuff. IB is hard itself, no need to make it even harder if u can't make it ;)