Is the IB left wing/liberal?

Jonathan13

x

x

I think I've made a pretty good example of how IB ignores religious activities. I did not mean to go to the Mosque for worshipping, there are various type of worshipping such as donating money to poor people as I stated above. Please explain how that activity cannot be counted as a service for CAS. 

I also didn't say anything about IB preventing people to state their ideas, but it affects people's ideas by the curricula it specifies for the diploma. People may not want to be dictated to write a TOK essay on the prescribed titles rather than a topic they choose by themselves. Thus, it would even enable further freedom of speech if that's what we desire.

I'm sorry - how is donating money to poor people a form of "worship"? 

It honestly just sounds like you're bummed out about not being able to involve religion in CAS, so you're trying to find "service" activities people normally do, finding religious groups that do it too (eg. sunday youth church groups), then claiming it is worship, therefore a religious activity, and since IB doesn't recognise it as so, it is clearly an academic fascist that doesn't allows you to think about god. 

Allow me to explain with a simple example. 

If you give free tuition to underprivileged kids as part of a youth church group activity (lots of them do this in Singapore), your service activity is called giving free tuition to underprivileged kids. Religion has nothing to do with it - and why should it? What would you put in your CAS reflection?

"Today, I taught children Pythagoras' theorem. It brought me closer to god". 

Do you see the problem here? 

It would be the exact same thing if you are giving free tuition as part of your local politician's program to increase literacy rates. Religious group, political groups, etc are all irrelevant. 

I suspect the reason why academic programs generally try to exclude religion is that once you introduce it, the inevitable process of "you can't question faith" starts. 

I highly suggest you get that stick out of your bum. 

I don't think so....I think that (at least in the US) left wing people are thought of being more globally conscious and accepting of various cultures while the right wing is all about "Keeping America American" (.....). At my school most of the people in IB stray towards the left though. I think because IB has a global perspective..?

Isn't it contradictory for you to say IB is 'liberal' on one hand, and 'totalitarian' on the other? At least from my understanding, being 'liberal' and 'totalitarian' are 2 very different things...

While I don't agree with the original post, you can definitely be liberal and totalitarian if you're using liberal to mean left-wing. For instance Stalin was definitely left-wing but completely totalitarian. Totalitarianism is just when the government gets rid of all private aspects of life and makes everything about the government. 

Well, I think that depends on the worshiper's point of view. For me, it is like playing football or playing the guitar. I find relief doing it. In addition, some certain worships raises awareness like helping poor people therefore it's community service up to a point. There's no reason to ignore it.

I definitely respect your opinion, but the IB teaches us to respect other's view, why it doesn't respect religious people? I would call this double standards.

Finding relief in doing something doesn't make it CAS. I mean I find relief in watching TV but watching TV isn't CAS either, unless your hobbies involve creativity or action then they're not going to count. Donating money to charity takes you about 2 seconds, whereas CAS is measured in hours. The idea is you give your personal time to help people, not toss a few coins in their direction and call that 'service'. Religion is for you personally, the rest of the community doesn't benefit from what you're up to. If you become more aware of poor people through religion then that's also something you are doing for you and not for them. Otherwise we could all just read leaflets and look at posters of starving children then say we're helping the community by raising our own awareness! It's not service, it's just a cheap attempt to get out of doing actual CAS hours.

The IB does nothing to disrespect religious people.

Personally I think that IB is trying to make clones that A) are really good at bsing their way through life and B) know how to become a dictator. My history teaches makes jokes all the time saying that IB History is really how to become a dictator. There are things that IB teaches as facts such as global warming even though there are suspicions that maybe the earth is just getting through a mini ice age. However, we can also argue that gravity doesn't exist and whatever is keeping us on the earth is a giant up in space with a remote control that controls everything here on earth. IB does give the teachers and students room to adjust the curriculum to what they want to teach.

The reason why Religious activity does not count for CAS is because IB doesn't want people to be "forcing" the IB students beliefs onto others. I think that IB is more central.

Personally I think that IB is trying to make clones that A) are really good at bsing their way through life and B) know how to become a dictator. My history teaches makes jokes all the time saying that IB History is really how to become a dictator. There are things that IB teaches as facts such as global warming even though there are suspicions that maybe the earth is just getting through a mini ice age. However, we can also argue that gravity doesn't exist and whatever is keeping us on the earth is a giant up in space with a remote control that controls everything here on earth. IB does give the teachers and students room to adjust the curriculum to what they want to teach.

The reason why Religious activity does not count for CAS is because IB doesn't want people to be "forcing" the IB students beliefs onto others. I think that IB is more central.

Well, the global warming during last 50 years or so is a fact. It's debatable if it's caused by human actions, but the correlation between greenhouse gases's property of absorption of radiation, the increased amount of carbon on short-term carbon cycle and warming seems quite obivious. If some scientist has evidence for your ice age theory he is free to prove it. And I don't think your history teacher is saying that stuff with all serious face... I tought IB history was more about getting different points of view on things, thou I haven't studied IB history.

And IB has certain standards... Just as any other educational programme. Students have to be taught that they ask on final exams!