Bio and Chem HL Tips before starting DP

Msingh_G

Hi everyone, im starting the dp next year and ive received some summer work from my school. Some of the stuff seems a bit confusing and stuff ive never really covered in last years science class like drawing the strucutres of different molecules like glucose, glycerin,etc and describing how  monosaccharide (glucose) is converted to a disaccharide (maltose). (Honestly, I dont even know what that means lol). Ive received my Bio and Chem textbooks early and I have been reviewing some content before school starts in September. What are some useful stuff that should be mastered and learned before someone starts in DP? 

Thank you. 

Hi! I know exactly how you feel about wanting to feel prepared and even ''get ahead'' if possible, but honestly believe me when I say that it is good that you haven't covered some of the topics that are in the textbooks. Of course some of the concepts are confusing! You haven't even started the programme yet! Most of the people in my HL Bio class, including myself, had no prior knowledge when we started the course. I managed a 7 just fine, although I admit to having studied a fair amount, especially during the summer between IB1 and IB2. If you have the time and energy to review a little before school starts, then that is great! But don't burn out, and please don't worry about mastering anything before school even starts! Two long years is plenty of time to master the content, and trust me, by the time finals come around you will be so incredibly sick of your textbooks! Don't worry too much and just go through the first few chapters if you are dying to get a small head start before school. Then you can see how you do the first year and if you are really struggling, you can easily use part of your summer to revise and review the material properly before IB2 begins! 

Good luck sweetie!

• Like 2

If you had the old syllabus with the specific dot points, I would have recommended covering some of the easy, early topics. Try having a read, but as said earlier, don't overwhelm yourself. For HL chemistry, I recommend checking out the Richard Thorney youtube channel - he has made some videos for the new course. These are quite short (3-5 mins) so it might be helpful to check them out...if you really wanna 'prepare'

• Like 1