What do you use to get the technology mark for Portfolio?

Guest IB_procrastinator

Guest IB_procrastinator

Hi all,

What program or softwares do you usually use for your math portfolios? Mathematica? AutoCAD?

Anyone knows any handy softwares? In my school, the technology mark is very hard to get. Anyone has any good tips?

:huh:

Guest IB_procrastinator

:huh: My teacher would ignore me when I try to ask her questions about anything *tears*

Can you explain the difference between type I and type II, I hear that type II is more difficult apparently. Is that true? I'm going to have my type II really soon.

Well, to be honest I found Type I harder, but that may just have been the topic.

Type II involves modelling so that is the one that you'll need the software for. Type I is usually a proof of some kind or purer maths.

We did Type II first because my teacher said it was harder and so if we did the harder one first we'd have a better time doing the easy one. Boy was she wrong. The Type II we did was so easy, but I had a hell of a time with Type I. As I said, that might have just been our topic. It wasn't hard, per se, it was just fiddly with lots lots of algebraic manipulation that was easy to get into a mess. I remember doing Type I. My teacher didn't get a second's rest, everyone was in a mess and had constant questions because we couldn't see where we went wrong.

Anyway...Type II. As I said, it's a modelling portfolio. The last few questions usually ask you to apply your model to various situations.

Guest IB_procrastinator

Oiii, but you get to do 2 of each type right, :huh:

The problem with our school is that we don't have enough time to do 4 in total, so we are doing 2 of type I and 1 of type II, which means I have to do good on the type II one to send off to IBO. :lol:

And do you know much about the marks for portfolios?

What counts as a 7?

I got full mark on the technology part and I'm not sure why since my friends did almost the same thing but they didn't get full mark.

When it comes to technology I actually only used my graphic calculator (TI-84+), Excel and MathType.

On the second portfolio however I used graphic calculator, excel, mathtype AND Advanced Grapher.

And do you know much about the marks for portfolios?

What counts as a 7?

For May 2007, the grade boundaries of the portfolios were:

HL --> (together) a 7 was between 35-40.

SL --> (together) a 7 was between 34-40.

Type II is a billion times easier than type I my highest mark on type one was 16 and type II highest was 19. For type II it is really easy to get full marks on the technology mark, just say that you used GDC and excel I also used graphmatica but it is practically the same as Autograph

Guest AirRon23

Our teacher is also a computer science guy, so if you use GDC and Excel we mightttt get a 1. I wrote a program for both of my portfolios, and used those computer graphing programs and still only got a 1. I think he's given out like 2 2's in the time he's been teaching.

Maybe we're lucky or overworked, but we get 10.

Graphing calculator, graphmatica, CAD, Excel.

The mark looks not only at the technology you use, but at your COMPETENT use of the technology - no stupid mistakes, easy and/or correct formatting, boarders/cell-lines, and so forth.

If your school marks 'hard' for technology it should be fixed through moderation.