Hi everyone,

So I'm currently working on an Extended Essay in Italian B. At the moment I go to school in Italy near the border with Slovenia and I wanted to do an EE about minorities in Italy and the topic I decided on with my teacher was comparing the treatment of Slovene and French minorities in Italy. So the research question would be something like:

"Is there a significant difference between the way the Italians treat the Slovene minority in Friuli-Venezia-Giulia and the way they treat the French minority in Val d'Aosta?"

I would look at the number of Slovene and French schools, their representation in government, job opportunities in both areas etc and then look for reasons behind the way the minorities are treated (eg historical reasons etc)

However, I'm not sure which category this topic would fall into as it is sociocultural but it is not based around a cultural artefact and it doesn't impact on the language. Unless a minority is a cultural artefact???

So do you think this is an appropriate group 2 EE or should I rethink it? Also, if this topic does not work, how could I manipulate the topic of minorities in Italy to fit into the IB criteria?

Also, I find their definition of "cultural artefact" very vague? Anybody able to clarify at all?

I'm pretty sure this isn't going to work simply because it doesn't really fit into one of the three categories (linguistics, culture, or literature). A cultural artifact is something like a movie, album/CD/song, painting, magazine, newspaper, advertisement, festival, unique holiday, etc. These kinds of things can be used as an extension or critique of the general culture/demographics of the area if so desired (i.e. how do Language B artists such as X and Y use their songs as a critique of Language B country's social culture?) This doesn't really fit into that definition.

In addition, you need to be focusing primarily on Italian or Italian-speaking minorities, not Slovenes/Slovene history and culture.

• Like 2