What do I tell my best friend about my essay?

She is in another country and she is coming back next week. I am supposed to go over to her house and I am so excited!!! But the thing is, she wants to read my essay that we had to write over the summer. I do not want her to read it and I dont know how to tell her that without sounding harsh or rude. I dont want her to think that I dont want her stealing my ideas. Thanks :)

Well either she's a slightly rubbish best friend who will try to use your ideas, in which case I'd pretend you forgot your essay and left it behind at your house, or that you've handed it in early or something. And if she's a good best friend then she genuinely won't steal your ideas. Although you could equally argue that a good best friend would help their friend come up with ideas (admittedly some might disagree on this point), so maybe if you can think of something you didn't put in your essay that you could suggest, then that might be a nice solution. I always used to help my friends out (and vice versa), but I rarely did it by giving them my work, there are ways to help other than copying. And if you're not sure, go with the pretend you forgot to bring it/handed it in thing. 

• Like 3