Skipping the pre-IB

stormblue

Hey there!

I have never been a part of any IBO programme (like the Middle Years one) before. I finished my first year of high school in Poland. Prior to having moved to Sweden, I got into the IBDP there (I passed the entrance exam in February.) The school's IB coordinator told me that, judging by my performance, there's no point in me attending the pre-IB (I didn't want to do so simply because of my age.)

As a natural researcher, I'm pretty sunk up with everything I've read about the IB and its, uh, urban horror legends... Should I actually worry about starting the programme without the pre-IB year? 

Dunno - I didn't do a pre-IB year but I did GCSEs which are the right 'level' of education to sit before the IB. I think it depends what the pre-IB year teaches you that you need for IB. I can't really imagine how it would teach you much that you shouldn't be learning anyway.

No, definitely not, as long as you have done the first two years of high school. You don't necessarily have to do pre-IB to enter the IB and most schools don't even have pre-IB as an option. For instance, my school doesn't have a pre-IB class as it has a variety of high school diploma programs (only around one third of each years graduates at my high school graduate with an IB diploma) yet the people in IB tend to do pretty well. I'm also pretty sure many people on this forum haven't done pre-IB. So don't worry about it! You'll do fine as long as you actually work.

(PS: most of IB's "urban horror legends" are highly exaggerated! It's definitely still tough though.)

I think it depends; some subjects require a good foundation, while others don't. Many of the humanities start from the basics, while in experimental sciences and maths it's beneficial with a solid understanding of the core concepts.

You should be fine though. What subjects are you taking?

I moved during high school from a school that had no pre-IB (but did have an IB program when you got in the 11th and 12th grades) to a new state. All of the schools I looked at in that state were also IB schools without pre-IB. It is very possible to do IB without pre-IB. That being said, I'm sure it is helpful. I'm doing IB right now with no pre-IB, and I don't seem to be having too much trouble. At least no trouble that I think pre-IB would have saved me from :)

Thanks everybody! :) I have to say that I finally feel more confident. I wasn't aware not everyone has pre-IB as an option.

I have decided to just go with the flow and drop to pre-IB if I feel that I really can't make it in IBDP. Sounds fair enough.

Negotiation, I'm taking HL Math, Physics and English A Lit, and SL Swedish B, Psychology and History. (The only reason I'm taking Swedish B is that choosing my languages in a different way just wouldn't work, and they weren't offering anything ab initio. So, I'll probably have some time off to catch up. Oh joy.)

Aishalol, I responded to your private message. x3