About History IA

sberkmetin

Hi, everybody, I just came up with a thesis question for my historical investigation. That is "was the new established Turkish Republic a democracy?" My problem is, I'm not so sure if it sounds more ideological than scientific. But I have a variety of resources, both historical texts such as memoirs of relevant people, and history books. Soo what would you propose? Do you think is it okay? Maybe I am having a hard time because in a non-IB school in Turkey I would get a zero from a homework with such a title. 

I personally don't like it for a couple reasons, which I'll say in a second, but I think it is allowed. It is a question, and it is about history. 

However, I don't really know what you're talking about. When you say "Turkish Republic," what is that? I found the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, and I found that modern Turkey is officially the Republic of Turkey. So to be clear, which are you talking about, if either of those? You need to put some dates into your question, because "was the new established" doesn't tell us when at all.

Additionally, "was" is not really an IB command term. Your question seems somewhat absolute, so To What Extent probably wouldn't be very good. If you do consider it to be a political spectrum, I would recommend TWE to be added in front of your question.

Lastly, your sources don't actually sound like they'll do very well. Memoirs have big limitations, which might actually be a good thing to use because you have to evaluate 2 sources, but history books are just plain secondary sources. I think you should look at the constitution or equivalent document of this Turkish Republic at the very least to gain some credibility. 

Overall, I think you're on the right track, and with some changes, this might be a good IA question. You might find that once you start, it isn't quite right, and that's okay. Change your question as you go, and write your plan of investigation last.

• Like 1

Thanks very much, it will definitely help me a lot. 

I meant the Republic of Turkey by the way. (the single party period of 1923-1946.)

You're welcome. I would definitely add the dates you'll be focusing on. You can even just put them in parentheses at the end of your sentence, right before the question mark. It narrows your question and makes your question look more IB-ish. :)

• Like 1