IB HOA preparation?

aprilmayjune

Hi guys! I'm kinda new to this site and I've been reading a bunch of the topics and they've been really helpful. But I'm really nervous about going into IB History of the Americas because I never took AP Euro like all my other classmates (I wasn't in PIB my freshman year) and I feel like I won't be prepared for the class. Any tips? And is AP Euro really necessary to understand/do well in IB HOA? Please help!(:

Why would a class centered on European history be paramount to your understanding of American history? :P

You'll be fine. Just learn how to properly write a history essay, and know your key facts and themes. That's how you do well in IB history. The AP exams for history are set up really different from how the IB does it anyways. I guess the only benefit of having AP Euro would be to be exposed to having to learn a lot of history, but that can be done. Don't worry about your classmates, they're probably lazy little demon spawn who won't recognize the benefit of having a tough class under their belts and screw up their first several essays anyways.

For what it's worth my school teaches European history and I never took AP US history, and scored well.

Seriously, don't worry about missing it. So long as you know basic geography and very basic history (like the fact there were two world wars), you should be ready for History of the Americas. No history class I took before HOA prepared me for it, but it has been a year and I'm one of the best in the class. Just do all the work you're given in the class, and learn how to write a good history essay. The facts are the least important part :P