Extended Essay in Business and Management

lifeliver

Hey guys

I'm heading into IB 2 this September and I have my Extended Essay first draft due.

I'm writing my Extended Essay in Business and Management and I would really appreciate some help with framing a research question.

My topic is 'Business failure'.

Basically the Business that I'm researching is a restaurant that used to operate in my city but it closed down recently. The restaurant started well and had potential according to Business experts. So I really wanted to explore why this promising business failed.

My research question currently is something like: What factors contributed to the failure of XYZ LLC?'

I'm really not confident with this question and I want to know how can I improve it so any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks a ton guys :)

Edited by lifeliver

It seems a bit broad to me. If you narrow down your scope of investigation, you can get a more analytic and focused investigation. Find a couple of potential factors that might have contributed to the business's failure (lack of effective marketing? Better competition? Weak business strategies?) and focus on one or two of them, seeing how much that had an impact on the failure of the business.

@Emmi 

Thanks so much for your advice I tried to focus my question more by looking only at the Marketing mix 

So this is my developed research question.

" To what extent has a poor marketing mix resulted in the downfall/failure/shutting down of XYZ LLC"

Is this better? Can I score well for Criterion A with this Questions? since I've heard that your RQ pretty much dictates how you score on the rest of the EE.

Also is ok to say failure? I mean it is a professional piece of work so I can condemn anything that has happened.

Thanks so much again, Would appreciate if you or anyone could answer my last question 

I'm not an expert on the specifics of a business EE because I never took the subject, but it appears to be fine (as long as it meets the requirements for the subject). It should be all right to say failure, but you should define what you mean by this in your introduction since what I take to be a failure might be different from you.