economics commentary

i am doing my economics commentaries, and have chosen the sections of the syllabus i want to focus on, the only problem is that i hv no idea wat the format. can any1 help me find a link where i can find sample commentaries

Yes, they're available here on IB Survival, however, you'll need VIP, which you need to earn or purchase.

• 1 month later...

In the intervening time ask your teacher, they are likely to have samples - and the general process is to discuss a specific piece of economic theory in relation to the extract. Try to pick articles which don't have much economic analysis in them (or at least if there is analysis it is in layman's terms) so that it doesn't seem like your just restating the article. Also make sure to define define define and use as many diagrams as possible- or maybe it's just my teacher who gets any about such things.

On another note, be careful of the word count. Apparently they even include words that are used as captions of diagrams, and more. The first economics commentary I had to do was chaos, simply because on the day we were handing it in, my teacher decided to announce that such words are included in the word count. When I re-counted the words following the rules, I was well over 80 words above the word count. :) ;

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed, footnotes, sources of information etc. are included in word count - there was a misunderstanding between my economics teacher and an moderator's methods and one student lost points for that - dunno if that changed the final grade or not but our teacher keeps complaining about it all the time :)

Edited by karlislielais

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My teacher told us to count the arrows used in graphs/diagrams as well just to be on the safe side. But yea...everything counts including footnotes. Apparently, IB uses an optical scanner to check the word count (makes sense since they have hundreds upon hundreds to mark).

You can try visiting my school's website. They have plenty of helpful stuff on what is required in the commentaries and a rubric. It seems to me the rubric is pretty simple. My teacher is individually marking the commentaries as we go along to input the marks for the semesterly report card. I got 18 on the first one, 19 on the second one. Hopefully, this time I will be getting a 20.

P.S. The website is as follows: http://www.turnerfenton.com/Students/lesso...ib/internal.htm

• 3 weeks later...