What have I done?

Gnooby

So my chosen subjects for next year are:

HL Mathematics

HL Physics

HL Chemistry

HL Economics

SL English Literature

SL French B (considering self-taught Swedish)

I just wanted to express how f**ked I feel, basically. If anybody wants to say anything, I'm all ears.

:)

Hi Gnooby, your subjects are well chosen actually! It depends on what you want to pursue later on in the future. But I'd rather you get a 40+ in the normal 3 HLs and 3 SLs than a 30 in 4 HLs, if you know what I mean. In the end, it's your grades and scores that matter, doing more HLs won't get you any more credit, it'll still be the same IB Diploma awarded to you. So why volunteer yourself for extra torture? The normal subject layout is already hell.

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of the HL Math/Phys/Chem combo. It lines you well up with a science/technology career. I would agree that, generally, four HLs make it unnecessarily tough. However, it's still not a bad idea to start off with 4—I did as well—as you can then drop down to SL in one if it becomes too hard.

Good luck!

• Like 1

No doubt that the HL Maths/Physics/Chemistry combination is a tough one, but of course it is possible to do it, and to do well with it! It does require hard work, but so do most things. If you are a maths/science person, arguable this is easier than doing language/arts/humanities at HL, so it does depend on each person. I'm assuming that you chose your own subjects (which is mostly the case, though I know some schools force you to take particular subjects), so hopefully you have chosen the subjects which you think you can manage and are best at and will enjoy the most! I would also agree that starting with 4 HL subjects is an excellent idea, as you can drop one of the HL subjects once you've had more experience of each. And yep, as mentioned, whether the very maths/science-heavy HL combination is good will also depend on what you want to do in the future. 

• Like 1

So my chosen subjects for next year are:

HL Mathematics

HL Physics

HL Chemistry

HL Economics

SL English Literature

SL French B (considering self-taught Swedish)

I just wanted to express how f**ked I feel, basically. If anybody wants to say anything, I'm all ears.

:)

I'm confused... You did choose these subjects right? If you're not happy, why don't you choose another combination? 

In any case, you're going to have to be super efficient in dealing with HL econs and your two SL subjects. You really need the time for HL Math, Chem and Physics. They're content and work intensive. However, two years is a long time and if you stay on task, its honestly doable. Don't worry about it too much and just focus on learning. 

On the bright side, that subject combination opens you up to pretty much every course (except arts, I guess..). Depending on how you feel about what you want to do in university, you can drop one of your HLs to an SL and still be on track, so that's great. 

Thanks for all of your comments, guys :)

I did choose the subjects myself, with the intention of opening up as many career paths as possible, knowing that I academically despise most art forms. I am strong and very interested in almost every subject that was offered to me, and my course selection process was more ruling out courses I didn't want to use, rather than trying to search for ones I was going to use.

I love learning about almost anything but, when it comes to work ethic, I just can't do any kind of dramatic performance, musical composition, or anything artsy. I had a large debate with myself whether I was going to take Economics HL or Psychology HL and, while I enjoy learning about psychology and the human brain, I would rather spend two years doing economics work than psychology work.

My favorite subjects are, by far, mathematics and physics - followed closely by economics and chemistry - and finally the English language. I am strongly considering switching French to Self-taught Swedish, as I know a lot of Swedish and can easily learn it in my spare time.

My goal by posting this was to see what other people thought of my subject choices and, so far, most of you have been impressed with my choices, which makes me feel a lot better about them.

Thanks again, guys.