English Oral- Stammer

Hello, 

In september I will begin the IB Course and will be doing English Language and Literature SL. However, one of the issues which most concerns me is the fact that I have a stammer which does not allow me to speak full sentences (To participate in class I usually ask a colleague to speak for me) How will I do the English Assesed Orals which are moderated, the problem is just the speaking not the gathering or the "expressing" of the ideas.  

Does anyone have this issue? How will I perfrom the Assesed and non assesed orals? 

Best Regards 

• Like 1

I think it probably will be a problem, and not just in English. You also have to give a few other presentations as well e.g. Group 4 project, Language B/AB orals and the TOK presentation. Maybe you should talk to your teacher and try to figure something out, I mean if your friends can understand you despite the stammering, I'm sure your teacher may be able to..?

I'm not concerned with Language B, as it will be a teacher who has been with me for the last three years and has done several orals with me. Nonetheless, I have also talked to the teacher who will do TOK next year and he said that it should not be a problem and a solution would be found as long as the content itself was present. (For the TOK, the content part can be showed through a powerpoint presentation if i'm not wrong) The problem with my english teacher is the fact that he has a very hard time understanding me. I seriously don't know what to do, or what to expect. 

Has anyone had a similar problem? Any solutions? 

I used to have a speaking problem. I stammered and my voice was really soft.

My pronunciation still has that annoying Korean accent.

But what was different is that I learned how to do presentations with confidence and express the information

clearly. I literally yelled to make my voice louder.

If your stammering prevents the audience from getting the information that you wish to express, then it can

become really problematic. BUT you won't fail English. IOP and IOC is only a portion of your mark. If you do excellent

in other assessments, you will be fine.

But practice your speaking. Doing bad in IOC and IOP and Tok will lower your mark down.

Best of my wishes to you. You can do it!

• Like 2