Do l still have a chance?

I was such an idiot, and didnt take ib seriously and didn't care... So I "missed" and lost my first year of IB by getting a 25 in 3rd trimester. Now, when I realised everything and motivated to work, I think that I cant catch up in such a small period of time. Also my subjects are really hard:

Maths HL. History. Physics. Chemistry.

I am really good at maths and hist,and the languages are ok, but i have to catch up on science cos i have 3 in both of them... Do u thinks its possible to have 36+ on the first term of year 2? I have a full months, but i also need to do cas and some of the essays...

Do you have a chance? Yeah, probably. But it really depends on you. Are you going to work really, really hard? There are things you can do to do better, like buy better textbooks or maybe even a tutor, but it is really up to you. It is definitely going to be a challenge. To get higher than a 36, you need an average 6 on all of your classes, ignoring the potential bonus points. If you're at a 3 right now in several classes, you'll really have to work to get those up, but I'm sure it's possible. Likely? Only you could possibly know that.

• Like 1

Im in the same position as you :( i wish i could just start ib again.... i think that its possible we just have to work really hard, and what i remind myself is if i dont get the score that i want, or fail IB i can just take the IB tests the next time they start which is 6 months i think, and 6 months of really hard studying should do the trick

• Like 2

I had a friend in the same position as you. What helped her get back on track was sitting down and organising herself.

I suggest doing the following:

- Make a list in each subject of the areas that you're very weak in. Don't just think, "I'm weak in everything". If that is the case, then list all the major areas of the syllabus you've covered in IB1 and start with the ones you're completely lost with and move towards the one you're better with.

- Allocate a set number of days per subject during your hols so you know to move on at the end of that period.

- If you're in real trouble, deactivate FB, Twitter, your phone, everything! (except IBS of course :P) to help keep you focused.

- Don't forget to take breaks, you will feel very overwhelmed in the beginning, don't try to scale Everest in a single day, or week. It might take several weeks, but if you're diligent you could easily catch up.

- Study smartly!

+ With Maths, I found that practising problems from past exam papers and then cross-checking with the answers key is usually the best way to improve. Provided you stop and redo the problem whenever you get it wrong and make the effort to understand where you went wrong and try to improve.

+ With History, I tend to reread the textbook until I've memorised it. Other people use flashcards and 'timelines'. All sorts of things to get the facts in your head and understand the narrative that accompanies every topic. Writing outlines for essay questions and then discussing them with your history teacher/peers in history class/a tutor will also help loads provided you get good feedback.

- Don't be afraid to ask for help whenever you get stuck. It's better to feel a little bad about knowing the answer than getting frustrated with your inability to figure it out! You save so much time and energy!

There's also a lot of good advice here about organising yourself over the summer and finding ways to keep yourself motivated! :)

Edited by Erudite
  • Like 5

Hey there, 

This post might help you: http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/27669-struggling-with-ib/?p=208001

Your situation is not entirely uncommon. Not to say you're not in trouble, but you've managed to catch yourself before it's too late. If you're worried about predicted grades.. well you've got a few more months, so I'd suggest having a mature conversation with your subject teachers and seeing if you can work something out. 

- If you're in real trouble, deactivate FB, Twitter, your phone, everything! (except IBS of course :P) to help keep you focused.

Personally, I think that deactivating everything is a useful strategy and isn't just for when you are in 'real trouble' - I did it for large parts of IB2 (or at least the few weeks before exams! I even blocked IBS at times. :) My reasoning was that if I had the means to forcibly stop myself from procrastinating with technology, that I should employ it and completely eliminate the temptation. 

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Altough it is not impossible to go from 25 to 37 it may be extremely difficult and you may want to have realistic expectations. Just work hard. You probably already know what you need to do in order to do well or what resources to refer to in order to improve study habits. Now you have to actually apply those strategies and be hardworking and motivated.

Good Luck!