EE topic help?

dhruval.shah

Hi,
Currently I've completed my first year of IB diploma .. And i'm wondering, should I do an EE in Physics or History?

Here's the issue: I am planning on studying Engineering in university, but Physics wasn't offered for IB students at my school .. So now I'm thinking, maybe I should just write a History EE since it's more likely to score a higher mark in that area .. What would you guys recommend? 

If they don`t offer Physics at your school, I definitely do not recommend taking Physics. Physics is one of those subjects (Physics, Psychology & Math) that really require an intimate understanding if you want a shot at achieving a good mark on an Extended Essay. Most people who even take Math or Physics HL struggle to even think of a topic that is a right fit for an Extended Essay. So yea... do history!

• Like 2

I think you're in the right direction for your EE topic, however you might want to specify the kind of role Italy did play; such as economic or political or social, in your actual essay. 

Since you do have 4,000 words you would be able/required to evaluate the different areas in which Italy did play a role (economic, political, social, etc) and then kind of be able to sum it up in the end in your conclusion stating how much of an impact Italy's role had, and whether it in fact did have a role or not.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for responding .. So I've decided to do the EE in History, and this is my research question - "What role did Italy play in determining the outcome of World War 2?" .. Would you guys say this question is too broad?

Thanks

When you're deciding on the question, remember you need a broad "research question" and then a really narrow but deep "approach".

And, to be honest, yes, your question is WAY too broad. But you're on the right lines ;)

So, what you can do here is focus on ONE or TWO elements and do some COMPARISON.

Maybe pick one government guy from Italy, and ask "to what extent did [this person] influence [a specific factor/war]" I remember Italy did win over Ethiopia or something... Just pick on something SO specific but you can dig deep into.

Compare! A major event from the WW2 timeline and pick 2 countries, Italy and [xxx], analyze HOW, WHY and TO WHAT EXTENT. The good old questions :)

Oh and, I really really need help with this, I don't take Film as a subject but I am doing an EE about it (plz tell as many ppl as possible  :o)

http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/30345-help-with-film-ee-about-godzilla-i-dont-take-film-as-subject-questions-about-rq-and-theory-of-media/

• Like 1

How about - "How did the outcome of World War II set the stage for the initiation of the Cold War?" .. The problem I'm encountering with that is making it long enough to be a proper essay. It seems like it can be answered in a few sentences. 

Another good one I have is - "How did the aircraft technology develop during World War II and what effect did it have in determining the outcome of the war?"

Edited by dhruval.shah

On the contrary, the first question can be explored in a lot of depth. But then again, most history textbooks would be covering that, and quite a few students who do their EE in history pursue questions such as those.

Your second question seems quite interesting, and can be explored. But before you go ahead with that one, it'd be a good idea to see how much conclusive information you can gather; that way you'll have a fair idea about the content and direction of your EE.

• Like 1

This is my research Q - "How did aircraft technology develop from World War I to World War II and what effect did it have on the outcome of World War II?"

In general, how long should the intro to an EE be (depending on what you're doing) .. This is what I have for my intro so far .. I've outlined the significance of this investigation and I'm trying to set the RQ into context:

In any successful military campaign, the importance of high-level technology is invaluable; victorious sides in any war are very often determined by the side with better technology. After the first powered flight by the Wright brothers in December 1903, it wasn’t going to be very long until this new invention was deployed into warfare. The opportunity for the aerial battle soon arose when the assassination of the Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand sparked World War I into action.