Appealing an exam result

neb120

Hi there,

I recently got my results back for IB Italian ab initio. I am considering having my exam re assessed and I have been looking online and speaking to my IB coordinator about appealing it. My question i wanted to ask is, is it possible for your grade to go down if you have it remarked? My coordinator says yes as they changed it in the last 2 years to make it so your grade can go down, yet online the IB regulations says it does not, however I am not sure how old said document is.

Could anybody tell me if it is possible to go down if I do have it moderated again?

Thanks

Ben

Yes, your grade can go down. It is unlikely, but it can happen.

More often than not your grade will either stay the same or it will go up by a mark or two to the next grade level, which is why it's only really worth it to remark in subjective subject areas like literature and essay-based exams where you're only a handful of marks away from the next boundary.

• Like 2

Thanks for that Emmi. One other question, the IB results website shows I am 1 mark from the next grade up, do you think this is worth appealing? I initially thought the one mark meant literally one mark in an exam so obviously it would seem logical to contest it, though it would now appear that it is 1 mark as a percentage of all of submissions for said subject. Sorry to ask you the difficult questions I don't know if it's possible for you to answer this one or not as you don't know my exact circumstances etc.

Thanks again for all your help

Ben

Edited by neb120

Well there's nothing to lose. If you are 1% away from the next grade then you are atleast 8% away from going down a mark, which is very unlikely, close to impossible.

Yet there's a good chance to increase by 1%. So i'd highly suggest you go for it!