New Ib student and questions?

I am entering the Ib next year and I would like to have some questions answered and tips as well:

1. Do you barely have any free time or do you get enough or a good amount of free time?

2. What grade is the extended essay done in, 12th grade or 11th

3. how much homework do you get and how long does it take

this is for starters

1. A lot of free time so long as you have the discipline to set aside 2-3 hours for your revision and homework every day.

2. Depends entirely on your school and how they structure things.

3. Depends entirely on what subjects you're taking and how much homework your teachers give you. There's no uniform standard for this sort for this sort of thing.

• Like 3

I found that it wasn't that work-intensive. I spent 1-3 hours per day on homework. In the exam season this increased to probably 10-12 hours, but that's another story!

I had several free blocks in school, and was able to use them effectively. However, other students would play games in-class and in the free blocks, and delay all the work until the deadline. I didn't really feel too much sympathy when they complained about being swamped with homework.

If your school year is separated into quarters and is like mine, you'll find yourself getting a lot of homework towards the end of each quarter. However, if you're structured enough to do the homework that isn't due immediately when you don't have too much else going on, you should be absolutely fine.

You'll also find the homework much more tiring if you don't enjoy it, so pick subjects you're interested in if possible!

• Like 2

what is the average time spent on homework like about an hour?

Quoting Arrowhead, "Depends entirely on what subjects you're taking and how much homework your teachers give you. There's no uniform standard for this sort for this sort of thing."

You can spend an hour on a worksheet, or five hours on it. We don't know what your teachers are going to give you for homework, what subject that assignment is for, and how long you're going to spend on it. Relax.

• Like 2

how stressed out is the Ib program any way?

Depends entirely on your work ethic. I heard all sorts of awful stories about sleepless nights and what-not. I went through the entire two-year programme with a minimum of 8 hours/sleep every night. If I slept less than 8hrs, it was because I stayed up late goofing off and wasting time on Youtube.

The programme is not designed to be overwhelming, but it does require you to be organised and put in a consistent 2-3hrs (usually lesser) every day outside of school on your school work and assignments and such. If you keep up with it and meet your deadlines for IAs and such, the IB is not at all stressful, merely a little time-consuming.

I know so many people who goof off and don't work and chill for ages all year long and then freak out when they have 5 IAs, their EE, a bunch of labs and tons of revision for upcoming exams. They then complain about sleepless nights and being stressed. That's not the IB Programme's fault, that's your fault for being an idiot! :chair:

...Sorry, I'm getting off my soapbox now. But that pretty much answers your question, I think. :P

• Like 3

I went through the entire two-year programme with a minimum of 8 hours/sleep every night.

Yeah, this is also an interesting point. I think i ended up averaging around 7.5 per night, but I was quite consistent. I think there were fewer than 10 days I slept less than 6.5 hours, and then I would feel groggy the next day. Seriously, if I went through it with 4 hours per night as some people claim, I wouldn't have been able to cope.

If you're anything like me, you'll easily make up for the "lost" time spent sleeping in increased efficiency.

Wow, 7-8 hours per night sleep in IB sounds amazing! I've heard people say you'd be awake till 2-3 AM per night doing IB-related work, so 3-5 hours sleep max...

Well, if you don't work after school between 7-10, and choose to start your homework at midnight, then it isn't surprising that you're awake until 2-3AM.

• Like 1