Sign in to follow this  

Does an IB student still need TOEFL for US universities?

Hello everyone!

I'm a Chinese student and I'm currently studying in New Zealand. If I want to apply for US universities, do I still need to provide my TOEFL scores? What if I take IELTS?  Cuz it's really hard to find somewhere in Auckland that offer TOEFL courses.

ps. I'm taking my school's pre IB course right now, and I'll study in New Zealand till I finish my high school.

If English is your first language and your school's language of instruction is English you do not need to give either. 

I can second this; this applies to most (if not all) US and Canadian universities. The "first-language-English-rule" is often iffy, but if your school's language is English, you'll be fine without taking TOEFL/IELTS.

I'd encourage taking TOEFL without taking any preps. As an IB student studying in english you'll get a decent score. If not it is always a plus having done TOEFL.

Its a win-win

If you're going to do the diploma, then you won't need TOEFL. A lot of the US unis don't require it if you have a English (A) score that is higher than 4. 

My sister studied grade 10-12 in Canada and was still asked to write the TOEFL. I have been in Canada since grade 7 and will be starting IB1 in September, the guidance department at my school said I do not need to write it since by the time I graduate i would had at least 4 years of education in a full english school. Me and my sister are from Venezuela and studied in a full spanish school before coming to Canada.

This could change for you if you were in an international school before going to New Zealand or because the IB Diploma (my sister did not take IB). It could also change by where you are applying to.

Hope this helped you.

Edited by Mr. Purple Monkey