What is the likelihood of my mark moving down?

Hey all,

So today I just got my IOP mark back, and I got 22/30 (for HL English). I believe that this is a grade 6 as a grade 6 boundary is 22-25. 

I was just wondering what the likelihood of my mark being moved down is if the IB markers moderate it down - does it happen often?

I am also graduating the IB in 2015 so have the IB grade boundaries changed?

The boundaries change slightly every year, though they're always roughly the same.

Whether your grade could be moderated down, yes, absolutely. The probability of this happening is something nobody on IBS can predict as it varies from school to school. You ought to ask your IB Coordinator and English teacher how often the IB has moderated down/up/left unchanged previous years' IA marks n your school for that subject. That will be the best indicator to predict your final IA score.

Don't look at the number grade for a single piece of work like that. Your final number grade (like 4, 5, 6) is determined based on the total number of marks you get across the IOP, IOC, written tasks and the exam papers. If you're one mark under the grade 6 boundary for IOP, it doesn't mean you'll automatically get a 5. If you get one mark above the lower grade 6 boundary in, say, Paper 1, it'll average out to a 6.

Regarding moderation in itself: as Arrowhead said, yes, it can be moderated. However, I believe it's not the IOP in itself that is moderated, but the IOC, and the IOP is adjusted according to that moderation.

Edited by Negotiation
  • Like 1