Is Economics HL easier than SL

True enough, Economics itself is considered to be one of the simplest subjects encountered in the IB. I'm taking Economics SL and the HL students in my class are covering the same things as we are PLUS their extra HL content. So to answer you question, no I don't think it's justifiable to say that Economics HL is easier than Economics SL. lol

Edited by yii yann
Let's be courteous :)

I've heard quite a lot of people saying this, could someone elaborate on it? Is this true and if so why?

Hmm... 

While the content of Econs HL is definitely more than SL, I think it might be possible for HL to be easier than SL in one way: Paper 3 (the quantitative paper). 

I found Paper 3 (and its content) to be overly-easy and much too generous in terms of marks. It hardly compared to the first two papers. So in a sense, its a saving grace for HL students - one that SL students don't have, 

Then again, you've got people complaining that it's "too much maths" so...

• Like 2

Paper 3 is super easy compared to the other two papers in Economics HL. Standard level does not have Economics Paper 3. Also, there is not that much difference between HL and SL Economics in my opinion. Some other subjects have huge differences between SL and HL levels (such as math).

The people complaining that it's too much maths (from my experience) are the ones that get a mediocre grade in math studies. If you do well in studies, or have SL/HL math, then it is probably easier for you to get a high grade in Economics HL rather than SL, due to paper 3. 

So the only reasons that you would take SL over HL is:

* You already have 4 HLs (I have 4, and would have wanted another one but my school does not offer SL A-languages)

* You can't stand mathematics.

The mathematics in Economics HL is REALLY simple. It's very basic algebra with some formulas and some graphs for calculating things such as revenue and profit. 

Thanks for the replies everyone, 

I have been considering taking it as HL, but a part of me doubts that I will follow through on this because it would be taken as a fourth HL subject. I'll have to consider it and discuss the situation. Paper 3 sounds like a godsend from what I've heard on this forum.

Thanks again!