History IA topic help

Forthediploma

I'm trying write my history IA on the idea of America's permanent war time economy. More specifically, the military industrial complex based off of President Eisenhower's farewell address.

I was thinking of a question like "To what extent did America's role in world war 2 and the cold war lead to a permanent war time economy?"

Anyways, I need some suggestions on the idea and maybe some ways to tackle it.

Edited by Forthediploma

• 1 month later...

Hi!

First of all, you've got to consider that the History IA is short, with a maximum of 2000 words, having said that, I would recommend you to narrow your topic down, maybe to only one of those 2 wars, or even better, to one single event.

Second, you also need to consider that many "academical sources"  (Books, journals, articles in history magazines)are required in order to back-up your statements and the whole part B is about your two main sources, so before choosing a definitive topic you need to make sure that there is enough information about it.

I wish you the best in writing this IA, and if you have any questions you can send me a message and I will answer them asap.

• 2 weeks later...

You need to choose a realistic scope for your essay. As Jose says, given the limited word count, I think this is too broad. Also, note that the IB weirdly defines history as anything that happened at least ten years ago, so if you are hoping to make comments on the current situation in the USA, this might not be the best subject through which to approach it.

How about "To what extent where President Eisenhower's concerns about the US military-industrial complex, as outlined in his 1961 farewell address, justified?" You would then be limiting your scope to anything you want that came before 1961, and then perhaps looking into the later 1960s and 1970s for evidence of his predictions coming true or not.