Is it true that you can't get a 7 in science subject if your IAs do not consist of 6s and 5s?

Ocean

Hello, I am taking my IB this Nov 2014.

I take Chemistry and Biology HLs. And my school is submitting the IAs this week.

BUT the IA scores are not very good. I have a few 5s and most are 4s and some 3s. 

There was a rumour that if you don't do well in the IA section, you will lose your 7. Is it true? D:

Here's a personal anecdote to dispel the rumour:

I got consistent 3s on my Chem labs (with two or three 4s and one 5). I think it averaged out to be around a high 4/low 5 for the IA component, and I got a 7 overall. Your IAs are only worth twenty-something percent. It's nice to get those marks, but you can definitely make it up with a good exam score (85~90).

• Like 1

No it's not true. It's just more difficult, as Emmi pointed out.

This year 79% was required for a 7 in Chem HL. The IAs are worth 24% I think. So theoretically you could get 3/24≈13% of your potential IA marks and still get a 7.

However, you're making life hard on yourself then. The IAs are one of the things you really have control over before the exams, and so it's good to secure those marks if possible.

• Like 1