does gender segregation have more positive effects or negative effects?

• 2 months later...

Honestly, I could never understand how gender segregation in schools could have a positive effect. I mean, schools are supposed to prepare us for life and therefor what's the reason for separating girls from boys especially at a young age? If everyone is exposed to each other in the early stages of life, don't you think it brings positive results?

However, I agree it really depends on what effects we are talking about.

• Like 4

Pretty much everything where I live is segregated so I tend to see the negative affect it has on people. All the public schools here are segregated so all the guys to put it blatantly are always hor**y and pull over their cars or honk their horns whenever they see any female - desperate much? It's disgusting as they have no boundaries. This obviously wouldn't be the case if schools here weren't segregated to begin with; this in has stopped a lot of social developments e.g. females driving.

Pretty much everything where I live is segregated so I tend to see the negative affect it has on people. All the public schools here are segregated so all the guys to put it blatantly are always hor**y and pull over their cars or honk their horns whenever they see any female - desperate much? It's disgusting as they have no boundaries. This obviously wouldn't be the case if schools here weren't segregated to begin with; this in has stopped a lot of social developments e.g. females driving.

Where are you living right now? If i may ask?

Where are you living right now? If i may ask?

Saudi Arabia

If I were to choose between one, I'd choose a partially segregated school. I wouldn't say gender-segregated schools are too great, at least in my opinion, but I think gender-segregated classes could be good, at least for me. I have a fair number of classes with my girlfriend and find myself um getting distracted and having to study a lot more after class :P 

Entire schools segregated by gender, on the other hand, I have to say I find rather extreme. I really don't think the benefits of gender segregation (generally better academic results) outweigh the other side of it enough to justify completely segregating boys and girls. By keeping say a boys class and a girls class, but allowing them to interact in free periods and lunch breaks and extracurriculars and whatnot you'd get the best of both worlds. 

As for the original question, I'd think gender segregation has more negative effects because one would think learning and really having the opposite sex involved throughout one's development has positive psychological effects (even if I don't currently know of any research or studies that would corroborate this same view). :P

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, it may not be. Since both sexes are starved of the other, particularly in their teenage years, hence, they will find it harder to work if they do meet a person of the opposite sex. I personally am against it because I figure that its better to meet girls in school, rather than at like college where I'll be like, what are these mystical creatures? (No offense to any girls) And probably will make them uncomfortable.

• Like 1

I was once told that boys perform better (academically) in co-ed schools while girls perform better at girl schools but idk? I changed from a girl school to co-ed for ib and personally my marks have gone up a lot and my mental health is improving so woo

My school, in the middle school (age 11-14), have semi-segregated classes meaning some subjectsare segregated and other ones are together which actually works pretty well because i think at that age when puberty's a thing girls and boys both get more distracted when the opposite sex is there but communication and interaction with the opposite sex is also vital to establish proper relationships and respectful behaviour later in life so co-ed is the best way but it can also be a big distraction

also in my area girls schools have so much bitchiness and cliques and its really unhealthy and if anyone thinks those are good factors to influence a positive environment you are wrong and it makes it a lot harder for students to develop healthily and to grow academically i think

• Like 3