Design Lab- Evaporation

anniecm

Preferences

Preferences

Hello,

I am stuck on my design lab. It has to have something to do with physics and be testing a factor that affects the rate of evaporation. I don't want to do surface area as i feel like it has been done to death, and i cannot do the viscosity of liquids as that is more chemistry. 

I want to do something with temperature but i don't know how to control the different temperatures i want to test.

I have to perform this experiment at home so i don't have access to a lot of materials, i want the set up to be extremely straight forward as i have like 6 more labs

Preferences
§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Polski

Português

РуÑÑкий

alt
alt

Preferences

A good place to start may be to llok up different factors that effect the rate of evaporation on google.

I agree temperature would be a good one (having said that if you are worring about it done to death then it would probabaly be similar to surface area.) However, it would be quite difficult to do, unless you did it on your stove or in an oven at a certain temperature and watied x minutes before seeing how much water had been evaporated off. However you have to be aware there would be a period before the water reached the desired temperature and this would be iffy as to what you do with this period. But you could use the temperature you set the oven too and that would work.

Unlike you, I dont have a problem with doing an over done I/A. If you can try to find something different, but otherwise, I dont see it as a problem. You just have to meet the criteria and originality isnt one of them. So I do like the surface area idea.

Otherwise you could look into something like the concentration of salt, sugar any other soluable liquid/solid. This should have an impact on the amount of evaporation and I have always found concentration a pretty straightforward independent variable to use (I have done it for 1 physics I/A and both chemistry ones).