Taking a subject exam early?

mr_awesome

I've noticed that some people are taking 1 or 2 IB exams before taking the rest of their exams, like taking an exam for maths SL in May but doing the other 5 exams in Novemeber, and was wondering how and why people do that? Can anyone do that?

Hi, 

It depends on your IB coordinator. It could be school policy - for example some schools encourage their students to get the 2nd language done in the first year. Alternatively, if you do really well in the subject immediately, your school might allow you to attend the 2nd year classes, study the 1st year topics by yourself, and to sit the exam in the first year. Check with your coordinator. 

Presumably Psychology SL, provided you've covered the syllabus and done all the IAs by that time. Why take Biology SL when it's one of your HL subjects? :blink:

Schools that do SLs early tend to be american schools which have a slightly confusing interpretation of what a 2 year course is actually about. The IB is designed so you do all subjects over both years, and for the HL subjects you have more lessons per week. The other way of doing it is to treat all (or some) HL subjects as SL in year 1 and because you're not doing any of the HL material, you don't need to allocate more time to the HL subjects. Therefore you can divide the extra lesson time up and allow more time for SLs, so completing an SL course in a year is feasible. Then in the second year you do the HL bits and finish off any SLs you didn't do in the first year.

• Like 1

Guest Daminark

IB policy is that you can take any SL exam after one year, if you've finished your IA. The exception is an ab initio language. 

You can take up to two exams after IB1. Meaning you could do psychology and/or math.

It can take some stress off your back the next year, so you have that. 

Presumably Psychology SL, provided you've covered the syllabus and done all the IAs by that time. Why take Biology SL when it's one of your HL subjects? :blink:

Schools that do SLs early tend to be american schools which have a slightly confusing interpretation of what a 2 year course is actually about. The IB is designed so you do all subjects over both years, and for the HL subjects you have more lessons per week. The other way of doing it is to treat all (or some) HL subjects as SL in year 1 and because you're not doing any of the HL material, you don't need to allocate more time to the HL subjects. Therefore you can divide the extra lesson time up and allow more time for SLs, so completing an SL course in a year is feasible. Then in the second year you do the HL bits and finish off any SLs you didn't do in the first year.

Its because I can still change between the two for HL (bio and psych). Yeah, I see what you mean, thank you. Though, I'll ask my IB co-ordinator if I will be able to do psych at SL early, so far we have completed 2/3 of the core, going through socio-cultural at the moment so I guess if its only 1 option topic and an IA it should be possible to complete by early next year shouldn't it?

IB policy is that you can take any SL exam after one year, if you've finished your IA. The exception is an ab initio language. 

You can take up to two exams after IB1. Meaning you could do psychology and/or math.

It can take some stress off your back the next year, so you have that. 

Oh awesome! thanks for the info. Though, I don't think I will be able to do maths by next year May, too much still to cover.

Each school will have their own regulations as to whether they allow students to take exams early (and which subjects they do), so they are perfectly entitled not to allow it in your case. If you were really keen to to do some of your exams early you could try asking again and mentioning that anticipated subjects are technically allowed, but it might not make a difference. So yep, only certain schools will allow early exam takers!

• Like 1