EE- Psychology Guidance

mr_awesome

Hi guys, I have chosen extended essay question is "How has violence in television shows effected children's behaviour?". First of all is this an essay which is acceptable by the IB? and also I'm quite lost in how to structure this psychology essay.

Do i need to keep referring to studies to support my arguments? Do i need to take it from 2 sides of the argument (positive,negative/no affect at all)? Do I talk about certain negative behaviours resulting from violence in television shows?

Any advice would be most appreciative. :) 

Cool topic, very contentious :) You may consider rewording it to 'To what extent does violent media influence children's behavior/aggression?' or something like that, you can then include violent video games (unless you only want to focus on tv shows and movies).

Do i need to keep referring to studies to support my arguments? Do i need to take it from 2 sides of the argument (positive,negative/no affect at all)? Do I talk about certain negative behaviours resulting from violence in television shows?

Any advice would be most appreciative. :)

You should always be supporting your arguments with data from studies. You should argue your case strongly and to do that you can mention the other side (if you think violent media does not influence children's aggression then make sure to be extra critical of any studies that suggest there is a link between violent media and aggression).

The negative behaviors you discuss should come from papers you have read and not just made up by you.

• Like 1

Thankyou for your response, you have really helped me to get an idea of how to write this essay!

Although, I had this other topic in mind, "An investigation into the effects of single-sex education and co-education on social behaviour, raising the question should boys and girls be educated differently?" would that be doable? would it be better? or should i stick to the one mentioned above?