Sign in to follow this  

How important is an Extended Essay for the University?

Hey guys!

I need to quickly find an EE topic start working on it since I have less than a month left till September. I was wondering if the EE plays a significant role in the university application, what I mean by this is if I want to apply for computer science and write an EE on Geography, will that be a weak spot for the university. It is hard for me to write an EE on Computer Science as there is no IB subject like this in my school. I have Math HL and Physics HL, but I think that a EE on thoses would be very hard. So my question is will it put off the university if my EE is on Geography?

Thanks! :)

Where are you planning on applying?

I doubt most universities will care too much, at least that's what my experience has been with applying to UK unis for CS (never mentioned it in my application, was never asked about it either). Besides, I wouldn't recommend doing an EE in an subject that you don't actually take, especially if you don't really want to do it.

Where are you planning on applying?

I doubt most universities will care too much, at least that's what my experience has been with applying to UK unis for CS (never mentioned it in my application, was never asked about it either). Besides, I wouldn't recommend doing an EE in an subject that you don't actually take, especially if you don't really want to do it.

Thanks for the reply!

I want to apply to the UK, preferably London.

What subject did you take for the EE?

I thought that they have a way to see the topic of your EE.

So you recommend me to stick to Geography?

No it doesn't matter. If you do your EE in a relevant area, you can mention it in your Personal Statement and it might look good. However not doing your EE in that area doesn't do the opposite (i.e. make you look bad) and it's better to get a high grade in your EE than spend ages trying to make it relevant to your subject.

So basically: it's nice if you can, but unless that happens to be your best bet anyway, don't bother trying to make your EE relevant, nobody will notice or care!

Thanks for the reply!

I want to apply to the UK, preferably London.

What subject did you take for the EE?

I thought that they have a way to see the topic of your EE.

So you recommend me to stick to Geography?

I did my EE in maths, but that was mostly because I wanted to. If you want to go Geography, I would recommend you stick with it.

I'm looking at my UCAS application, but I don't think I've mentioned the subject of my EE at all. Unless you mention it in your personal statment, I don't think they have a way of knowing (I may be wrong though, it's been nearly a year since I sent my application).

No it doesn't matter. If you do your EE in a relevant area, you can mention it in your Personal Statement and it might look good. However not doing your EE in that area doesn't do the opposite (i.e. make you look bad) and it's better to get a high grade in your EE than spend ages trying to make it relevant to your subject.

So basically: it's nice if you can, but unless that happens to be your best bet anyway, don't bother trying to make your EE relevant, nobody will notice or care!

Thanks for your reply! :)

Guest Daminark

Depends on a bunch of things.

If you go to UK/Europe, they look at your personal statement and predicted IB grades. If you're predicted an A in your EE, and it's in the subject that you're gonna apply to in university, then yeah, helps. Plus you could mention it in your statement. A low EE in the course that you're about to apply to is not good. If it's irrelevant to your subject, then the effects of high/low grades are decreased, but still matter. Point is, choose an EE that you'll do well in, high grades are more important than relevancy there.

If you go to 'murica, they look at a LOT of stuff. They don't get your predicted IB scores, so your EE cannot hurt you in any way, since you don't have to mention it. Do the topic that you'll do well on, since you could ask the teacher for a recommendation (even if it's a different one than your intended major) and that'll definitely boost your application.

Point is, do the subject you'll get a high grade on, even if it might not be relevant to your major.

Depends on a bunch of things.

If you go to UK/Europe, they look at your personal statement and predicted IB grades. If you're predicted an A in your EE, and it's in the subject that you're gonna apply to in university, then yeah, helps. Plus you could mention it in your statement. A low EE in the course that you're about to apply to is not good. If it's irrelevant to your subject, then the effects of high/low grades are decreased, but still matter. Point is, choose an EE that you'll do well in, high grades are more important than relevancy there.

If you go to 'murica, they look at a LOT of stuff. They don't get your predicted IB scores, so your EE cannot hurt you in any way, since you don't have to mention it. Do the topic that you'll do well on, since you could ask the teacher for a recommendation (even if it's a different one than your intended major) and that'll definitely boost your application.

Point is, do the subject you'll get a high grade on, even if it might not be relevant to your major.

Thanks a lot! I want to go to the UK and I think I will take your advice and stick to Geo