Drop Math HL or not?

Okay so after my first year ended i had the following results:

B/M SL 7

German B SL 7

Chem SL 7

English HL 6

Economics HL 7

Math HL 3

My math isn't weak but I'm not able to get enough time to practice so that I adapt myself to doing HL level problems in the short time. In the future I want to do either eco or english as my major. I'm not planning on going to the UK. Only the US, Canada and Singapore. Everyone says if I drop Math HL and take B/M HL it will make me look bad in front of colleges because my course won't be rigorous enough. What should I do? Keep looking for a possible 5 in Math HL and spend a lot of time or an easy 7 in SL math? Please help.

I am also considering dropping Maths HL, but I am taking 4 HL's. I am only gonna decide to drop it after the winter break. I think you should take HL in one more subject and maybe do the same?

-GOD

It will really depend on the college you're going to and what requirements they have. If they dont see math HL as being mandatory, i dont think SL will make you look bad as long as you get your good grade. Yet most universities (well in the UK) require you to have math HL and there will probably be a reason for that, i.e. you will need that skill level.

In my case, doing past papers did wonders, and especially re-doing class notes. On the weekends i usually did that for an hour each day and it worked great.

Especially if your math isn't weak, it is probably just they style of questions you have to adapt too.

As has been mentioned above, whether you should drop Maths HL depends very much on your future university plans. Given that you aren't planning on going to the UK where subject requirements particularly for maths/sciences are quite strict, it doesn't seem like dropping to Maths SL would be an issue. I can't speak for Singapore, but I'm under the impression that whether you do Maths HL or SL doesn't really affect your applications for Canada and the USA. And of course, a 7 in SL would be more impressive than a 5 in HL (and would require less effort). Even for science/maths majors or courses in the US, I think (though I'm not entirely sure on this) that doing SL wouldn't put you at a noticeable disadvantage.

Having said that, however, doing Maths HL generally is good preparation for a career in maths/science fields. As to whether doing BM at HL would make your course look less rigorous, it might have that effect - and if you were applying to the UK you would definitely want to be wary as BM at HL is a 'soft' subject. But outside of the UK I think it's definitely not a significant issue, and especially on US applications since they are so holistic they look at much more than your subjects to determine your suitability, academic and otherwise.

Looking at your Maths HL score compared with your other subject scores, I would be inclined to suggest that you should drop to SL. Whilst I think that Maths HL is a great subject and a 7 is totally achievable with hard work, it does require lots and lots of hard work, as I'm sure you know. With Maths SL you can get a higher score with very little effort. It's painful for me to give this advice as I generally try and convince people to stick with HL, but I honestly think that you would be better off doing Maths SL! :)

On 8/13/2014 at 4:46 PM, God said:

I am also considering dropping Maths HL, but I am taking 4 HL's. I am only gonna decide to drop it after the winter break. I think you should take HL in one more subject and maybe do the same?

-GOD

Does dropping a 4th HL look bad on university transcripts (if it is HL math) ? And does a combination of igcse extended (A) and igcse additional (C) with SL math look bad on uni transcripts?  Does it look like I just gave up? My dream is to apply to med but unfortunately my igcse additional grade has been haunting me for months since I received my results in August 2019. Any advice ? My current combo is HL bio chem econ SL math eng a LAL and chinese B - is taking 4 HLs (Econ bio chem math) and 100% dropping one when it’s really getting  extremely tough ? I’m taking my exams in November 2021. Advice ????? 

Just now, EGTJX said:

Does dropping a 4th HL look bad on university transcripts (if it is HL math) ? And does a combination of igcse extended (A) and igcse additional (C) with SL math look bad on uni transcripts?  Does it look like I just gave up? My dream is to apply to med but unfortunately my igcse additional grade has been haunting me for months since I received my results in August 2019. Any advice ? My current combo is HL bio chem econ SL math eng a LAL and chinese B - is taking 4 HLs (Econ bio chem math) and 100% dropping one when it’s really getting  extremely tough ? I’m taking my exams in November 2021. Advice ????? 

If it helps I was averaging a B in additional leading up to the exams