IB in Germany.

ibdeutschland

Hey there my fellow IB students ... I've done the IB ... And took my IB diploma , and i really want to know some information about the recognition of IB in German universities , I've heard that they dislike the IB. I want to study medicine here in Germany , and here are my grades : Arabic A1 HL :6. English B HL:6. Biology HL:6. Chemistry HL:7. Math SL methods:5. History route 1 SL:5. Tok and EE:2. Total : 37. I'm really willing to do anything to get into medical german unis even if I redo two subjects in the IB like math or history I can get more 3 grades. Thanks in advance

Hey there my fellow IB students ... I've done the IB ... And took my IB diploma , and i really want to know some information about the recognition of IB in German universities , I've heard that they dislike the IB. I want to study medicine here in Germany , and here are my grades : Arabic A1 HL :6. English B HL:6. Biology HL:6. Chemistry HL:7. Math SL methods:5. History route 1 SL:5. Tok and EE:2. Total : 37. I'm really willing to do anything to get into medical german unis even if I redo two subjects in the IB like math or history I can get more 3 grades. Thanks in advance

Hi... I am not sure about the disliking IB part... but definitely it is recognised by the German universities only under the condition that you have taken a specific combination of subjects ... Like the expect you to take a science at HL, a foreign language at Language A  (SL or HL) or Language B HL levels. I suppose you also need to show evidence through your grade 11 and 12 report cards that you have studied all the subjects continuously over the two years.

I don't remember all those requirements but here is a link that talks about the required subject combinations and conditions for IB to be accepted by the universities: go through it and decide for yourself whether you are eligible:

http://www.ibo.org/country/universities_rec.cfm?country_code=Germany&current_country=DE

or google "ib kmk requirements for german universities"

Also, note that your IB grade will be converted into a German grade by the universities in a scale of 1(excellent) to 8(awful). I think you will be a 1.9 or 2.0 - which is above average. You can google something like "convert ib grade to german grade" and get an official table showing IB score and german scores side by side. Generally I find that the German grade underestimates and undermines your IB grade. Like a pretty nice score like 37 is reduced to just above average on the German scale.  But still, I personally feel that very few international students go to German universities and that they might be liberal for admitting international students. For example,I got a  38 and I have got an admission into a German university - Oldenburg university - for the international engineering physics program. So don't worry too much about the 37. If you want you can still retake - your choice. Contact some uni admission officers.

But, the application deadlines for October intake are over (were over on July 15th this year). You will need to apply for April 2015 intake (apply by Jan 15). Also, very few of the Bachelor programs are taught in English - these are called international programs . You will need to  google the "DAAD course finder database" to check for a program of your choice. Otherwise if you can learn german till C1/C2 level and write the TestDaf german language exam and apply next time for April 2015 intake or october 2015 intake then you have many options.

Just some extra info: Germany is a very affordable country to study in. Most unis don't charge tuition fee.

Hope this helps,

All the best

source : lots of research and personal experience while applying to German universities

• Like 1

Thank you so much ... I really appreciate your reply , I'll do two more subjects get 40-41 then get back on track . I hope after getting these grade I would be able to study medicine here , and that my effort wouldn't go for nothing!!! , but I've got one last question ... If someone finished a one successful university year in his country , can he just transfer to a German uni( even if he's required to start all over again) , after completing the DSH off course !?

Thank you so much ... I really appreciate your reply , I'll do two more subjects get 40-41 then get back on track . I hope after getting these grade I would be able to study medicine here , and that my effort wouldn't go for nothing!!! , but I've got one last question ... If someone finished a one successful university year in his country , can he just transfer to a German uni( even if he's required to start all over again) , after completing the DSH off course !?

Yes definitely... no harm in adding a few more points in your basket ... :)

Well... about the transfer thing... I am not too sure... I have not much idea about their policies for transfer student. I'd recommend you contact the university admission officers directly.

one last question does 1.8 qualify you to study medicine in any german uni ... and thanks

Well... again I am not 100% sure of an answer to that .... you should probably contact admission officers...

But I believe  with a grade below 4.0 (or above 24 points) which is the passing grade, you should be eligible for many course.

And with a grade of 2.0 (above average) and better, you should generally be eligible for almost all courses because from then on you are seen as an academically decent student...

I mean, I got a 1.7 and managed to secure an admission in a course considered to be challenging, I am pretty sure medicine would have pretty much the same standards - inferentially speaking, you should be eligible. But still, I recommend you directly contact the universities as to whether you are above the cut-off grade for admission as I haven't done much research about medicine courses and as far as I know I didn't find on the web that there are specific grade benchmarks for German universities that say only above a Grade of X you get admission into a certain course. In that way its different from the British and American universities.

Edited by Amen

• 2 weeks later...

and you also need to apply via hochschulstart. medicine is very competitive in Germany. The nc (numerus clausus ) is around 1,0 which are 42 points excluding core point. Otherwise you have to wait for a few semesters

and your german needs to be really good nearly fluent cause everything is in german

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

Just adding to this thread as I want to apply for medicine in Germany myself.

I got 36 points which gives me a "Durchschnittsnote" of a 2,0, according to their (unfair in my opinion...) translation of our IB marks. Seems like it's not good enough to get in to medicine (eg. at Charite - min. 1,6 / 1,7 in the past years (http://www.charite.de/fileadmin/user_upload/portal/studium/bewerbung/C210-D_Ergebnisse_im_AdH_1.0.pdf)

Is there anyone who could possibly advise how improving the IB Diploma grade works, after having passed the exams (in 2012)? If I did one or two additional subjects now, having completed the IB already, would that "add up" to my 36 points? Say, 36+ 6, so 42...? Theoretically, with this "IB-Gesamtpunktzahl" that would give me the average Durchschnittsnote N of exactly 1,0....which would be PERFECT.

Can this be true? Has anyone had any experiences with taking additional exams after their "official" ones?

I would be so grateful for any help!

Just for the info...

"Die offizielle Formel für die Übertragung der IB-Punktzahlen in das deutsche Notensystem lautet:

ff0400355cb10fac9024ae7bc146039c.png mit N = Durchschnittsnote, P = IB-Gesamtpunktzahl, Pmax = 42 Punkte (IB-Gesamtpunktzahl ohne Zusatzpunkte), Pmin = 24 Punkte (kleinstmögliche IB-Gesamtpunktzahl zum Bestehen) und N = 1,0 (für 42 < P < 45)."     Thanks, Pola

Edited by Pola

• 10 months later...

Hi, 

I am Year 1 of IBDP and adding this thread to ask some questions regarding enrolling in universities in Germany. I am currently taking English A literature and language SL, Korean A SL, Biology HL, Chemistry HL, Math HL, Business and management SL. 

1. I heard that german universities dont recognise business and management as a subject. Is that true?

2. Not many universities mention IBDP in the admission requirements for international student on the their sch website, do you know min score to get for to get accepted for Chemistry or Pharmacy?

• 1 year later...

Guys, i want to ask about ib subjects that required German Universities to convert in abitur, I know that there are only naturwiessenschaften  (Physics, Chemistry and Biology). Is it Computer science available?  It's my first DP year. Or it will better to apply in Schweiz Universities, for example, Zurich U. Or apply now to studientkoleg program.

My subjects are  

• Math HL
  • Economics HL
  • English B HL
  • Computer science Sl 
  • ITGS SL
  • Russian language A SL

19 minutes ago, Arslan Sagintayev said:

Guys, i want to ask about ib subjects that required German Universities to convert in abitur, I know that there are only naturwiessenschaften  (Physics, Chemistry and Biology). Is it Computer science available?  It's my first DP year. Or it will better to apply in Schweiz Universities, for example, Zurich U. Or apply now to studientkoleg program.

My subjects are  

• Math HL
  • Economics HL
  • English B HL
  • Computer science Sl 
  • ITGS SL
  • Russian language A SL

For the Bayerische Abitur you need a language and a science/maths HL. You meet these requirements and therefore should be ok. I am not sure whether ITGS is recognised for group 3 -  I was only aware of geography, history, psychology, and economics being recognised. But since you take it I think you're more than fine for the Abitur conversion. 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2017 at 6:18 PM, mac117 said:

For the Bayerische Abitur you need a language and a science/maths HL. You meet these requirements and therefore should be ok. I am not sure whether ITGS is recognised for group 3 -  I was only aware of geography, history, psychology, and economics being recognised. But since you take it I think you're more than fine for the Abitur conversion. 

(Translated by the moderator into English due to the rules of the forum.)

Thank you! What's the difference between the Bayern 'Abitur' and the ones from other states? Is it like this: http://toolbox1.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/site_0341/internationalschoolulm_germanyrecogibdiploma_091714.pdf (I am referring to b "One of the three subjects to be taken at higher level for the "International Baccalaureate Diploma/Diplôme du Baccalauréat International", must be Mathematics or a Natural Science subject such as Biology, Chemistry or Physics." in the source). As far as I have understood it, you have to take one out of bio, chem, physics and maths in the DP. Or Maths at HL or science HL is again enough. For group three I have Economics HL. I want to decide to which uni to apply to. It's so hard, I plan on studying Economics .

Original message:

Spoiler

Vielen Dank! Welche Unterschied zwischen Bayerische Abitur und anderen? Ist es so http://toolbox1.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/site_0341/internationalschoolulm_germanyrecogibdiploma_091714.pdf ?(ich bin bezuglich b "One of the three subjects to be taken at higher level for the "International Baccalaureate Diploma/Diplôme du Baccalauréat International", must be Mathematics or a Natural Science subject such as Biology, Chemistry or Physics." in die Quelle) So weit ich verstanden, man muss in DP einen von bio chemie physics und Mathe haben. Oder Mathe auf dem Hl oder Science aud dem Hl wieder ist genug. Fur Gruppe drei habe ich Wirstschaft Hl. Ich mochte jetz entscheiden an welche uni anmelden. Es ist so schwer, ich hab absicht um Wirtschaftwissenschaften studieren.

Edited by mac117
Violating the terms of the forum.

On 11/15/2017 at 6:45 PM, Arslan Sagintayev said:

(Translated by the moderator into English due to the rules of the forum.)

Thank you! What's the difference between the Bayern 'Abitur' and the ones from other states? Is it like this: http://toolbox1.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/site_0341/internationalschoolulm_germanyrecogibdiploma_091714.pdf (I am referring to b "One of the three subjects to be taken at higher level for the "International Baccalaureate Diploma/Diplôme du Baccalauréat International", must be Mathematics or a Natural Science subject such as Biology, Chemistry or Physics." in the source). As far as I have understood it, you have to take one out of bio, chem, physics and maths in the DP. Or Maths at HL or science HL is again enough. For group three I have Economics HL. I want to decide to which uni to apply to. It's so hard, I plan on studying Economics .

Original message:

Reveal hidden contents

It is exactly this :) I am not exactly sure what the difference between the different 'Abitur' is -  I was only told the ones in Bayern and Baden-Wuerttemberg are considered the toughest ones and the most recognised ones. How much truth is in this I do not know. For economics maths and Econ HL should be fine, but if you want you could contact the universities you're interested in applying to. 

• 6 months later...