TOK topic/KI about war

Puppy

Heeeeeey everyone :crying:

I think most people have problems with TOK and i'm no different haha. We get to do 3 presentations luckily because i totally messed up my first one! Apparently i was too 'superficial' and did not go into 'depth' with my topic. I totally don't understand why since i covered everything i was suppose to cover, but whateverrr, as long as my next two go well. It was about discrimination btw.

I have no date set yet for my next presentation but i thought i'd start early this year. Anyways i really want to get a good grade now and for my next presentation i wanted to do something about war. For example: Can war be morally justified? or something in that direction.

Tell me what you think and tips/examples/ideas are VERY welcome :giveheart:

You of course need to touch on the ways of knowing and areas of knowledge. The WOKs in this case can be applied in reason vs. emotion. If war is to be justified, is it based on logical reasoning or purely what your emotions tell you? Try to introduce an AOK such as ethics. Is war ethical? is killing even ethical in the first place. Probably could bring in religion into this. Give your own personal opinion on war but make sure you counter your own argument.

• 3 months later...

I think the big two you'll want to cover (in order to have a deeper presentation) are ethics and religion, provided you're okay with going controversial.

Ethics asks the question of whether or not war can be justified, and the answer for that question can be a presentation unto itself, simply because there is no set answer. Starting a war for material gain may be seen as wrong, but is it alright to start a war in order to protect yourself? What about a war to liberate another country from opression? A war to preserve a doctrine, an ideology, or a religion? What if instead of preservation the war was in order to spread the doctrine, ideology or religion? Is it alright then? If not, why not? Are other ethics suspended in a war? If we hold our current set of values in a fight, we'll lose. Is it alright to fight a total war if the alternative is terrible? To what extent should civilian targets be used in war? What's the difference between dropping a bomb on a civilian or on a solider? If the country you're up against practices conscription, does it change your answer? Is conscription justified? Is it okay to make someone die for something that they don't believe in, even if that thing is of supreme importance?

Anyways, instead of posing questions all day, I'll leave it at that. There are a million questions to ask and discuss, so pick some and go for it.