IA Topic Help

Sterling

Hello,

I need to start research on my IA topic, but before I do, I want to gather some opinions about my topic question.

"To what extent can drugs be considered the main reason for Vietnam veterans having difficulty reintegrating themselves into society?"

I've heard about this problem a bit, and I also know that there's a number of conflicting opinions on drug use in Vietnam, so I believe this would make a good topic, however I want to know if this question would be a good one.

You're going to need some good primary sources for an IA, and I don't know how much literature there is on that subject. It sounds interesting, but I don't know how you would quantify it like "To what extent" calls for. And lastly, you need to specify a place and time - there are veterans from different countries involved, and IAs are usually supposed to be from at least 10 years ago, which this probably qualifies for, but you need to show that immediate reintegration.

• Like 1

You're going to need some good primary sources for an IA, and I don't know how much literature there is on that subject. It sounds interesting, but I don't know how you would quantify it like "To what extent" calls for. And lastly, you need to specify a place and time - there are veterans from different countries involved, and IAs are usually supposed to be from at least 10 years ago, which this probably qualifies for, but you need to show that immediate reintegration.

I think there's plenty of primary sources on this war, so that doesn't worry me too much. You're right about the quantification aspect. If I worded my question as "Can drugs be considered the main reason for american Vietnam War veterans having difficulty reintegrating themselves into society?" then it would require a yes or no conclusion, would this be better, in your opinion?

I think including the time would be redundant because I'm planning on treating all the years in which the war was active, as if I narrow it down to two or three years I might not be able to find enough information for a good IA.

I think there's plenty of primary sources on this war, so that doesn't worry me too much. You're right about the quantification aspect. If I worded my question as "Can drugs be considered the main reason for american Vietnam War veterans having difficulty reintegrating themselves into society?" then it would require a yes or no conclusion, would this be better, in your opinion?

I think including the time would be redundant because I'm planning on treating all the years in which the war was active, as if I narrow it down to two or three years I might not be able to find enough information for a good IA.

Yes, there are plenty of primary sources about Vietnam, but how many about the drug use of the war's veterans? If you're going forward with this topic, I'd leave the To What Extent on. IB loves seeing its command terms, and 'can' isn't one of them, I don't think. 

I'm confused: You said you're getting primary sources on the war itself and you say your years are "all the years in which the war was active." But your topic is about reintegration into society - that comes after the war. Are you saying they're getting addicted while still in Vietnam? Either way, reintegration implies that you're going to need at the very least one year of reintegration besides an active war year.