IOC - Individual Oral Commentary

breadcat

Erm, hello... I have no clue what A1/A and A2 and B are, but hopefuly I'm in the right place lol XD if not then apologies ;-;

So... it's the start of a new school semester, and I'm new to the I.B program and in grade 11. I guess for the first day of school, my teachers were just chill and just talked about the program, and told us a brief intro as to what we were going to face in the future. But one thing that caught my attention was something called an Individual Oral Commentary. My teacher made it sound really scary, and I'm very intimidated by it. 

Basically, he told us that on the day of this assigment, we are given an envelope with a passage (one that we studied, I think..) and we have 20 minutes to gather information, and then, we have to present a commentary and speak in front of a recorder for about 10 minutes.  :confused:

I know that this assignment won't happen until a good few months pass by, but I want to be prepared for it! D: SO... can someone please tell me some good ways to quickly and effectively prepare for this? and how to form a commentary? I would very much appreciate it!!!

Well, print off poems you have or haven't studied, sit down with them for 20 minutes, annotate them (for your own good), and then talk about them for 10 minutes to a partner, or a mirror, or a recorder. That's the best way to prepare. It really is what it sounds like. You'll find that the 20 minutes is plenty of time to annotate any poem - the hard part is organizing your commentary and then performing with intelligent language and good presentation skills, but practice makes perfect.

• Like 4

Yeah, learning how to annotate efficiently is extremely important. I've found that recording your practice commentaries really does help. 

And don't go completely mad over your IOC, the more stress you take, the worse it's going to get. Just be sure to practice a lot, as Thrashmaster said, speaking in front of a partner does well to alleviate the fright that would otherwise create havoc during your orals. 

I wish you the best of luck!

• Like 1