In-class Participation?

Neeliegya

I know that it's important to participate in class and that it's supposed to be good for you, but I'm a really shy person and it's extremely difficult for me to participate in class...

I'll be starting IB Diploma when school starts for us, and I just want to know how relevant participation is to your success in IB. Are you assessed for your participation in any way?

For the IB grade, I don't think participation is important except when you're being assessed. Group 4 projects, language B group orals come to mind as times you'll want to actively speak. Obviously, your individual presentations are important too, but that's not so much participation as just your own presentation.

• Like 1

You're not assessed on participation, but I think it helps for when you do have to speak while thinking on your feet - language A and B orals. I don't like participating in class either, but I found that when I did, I got a lot more out of the class. I found that even though I was paying attention while not speaking, participating made me take a more active role in learning. Also, for my language B, French, I definitely saw a greater improvement when I started speaking in class. I learned a lot more vocab; thinking a response in my head just wasn't the same as actually saying it out loud. And again, it's good practice for the orals.

I also noticed that although I only talked out of necessity before IB, I actually kind of enjoyed participating in my IB classes.

But it's up to you. Participation is not going to directly affect your mark, but it can help.

Like the others said, participation isn't assessed, but the mentor and/or teachers may mention it in your report (mine did). I know how you feel with the shyness, as for the first half of IB year 1 I didn't answer in class. I found myself struggling to keep focus sometimes, and I found that I had to revise for a lot longer. I started answering in class one day, and I really got a lot out of it and the information has stuck in my brain. 

I find my biggest worry is getting the answer wrong in front of people, so I sometimes go over my notes before the lesson starts. But at the end of the day, it is fine to get stuff wrong. We shouldn't need to care what people think, and one must make mistakes sometimes to learn the best lessons. :)

I think participation in class might help you succeed more quickly, but everybody works in different ways so don't worry if you find it isn't for you. 

It will be okay, don't worry! Often the best way to grab a teacher's attention is to do well on tests and to be a nice person in general. The loud, talkative one may also be rude and teachers won't like that. 

However you should try and participate more, it usually helps with your own learning,  and you will find it easier to do the language orals and group 4 project later in your IB journey. 

• Like 1