Interested in doing a worldwide CAS project

Hi guys,

I've seen a few worldwide CAS projects and they seemed super cool. I've wanted to participate in one myself for a while. Now, I don't have any specific ideas in mind, because I wanted everyone to have their own say in this since it is worldwide). I think we should all have a part in this and we should collaborate to find the right project! ^_^

I did have a few vague suggestions from fellow IB-ers that I wanted to share:

• Show local injustices and make a strong political statement
  • Something with Amnesty International values - women, kids, minority rights
  • Show the country from which you come from's uniqueness
  • Incorporate photography or videos to visually connect us IB students
  • Attempt to incorporate the "Action" criteria, because it could be challenging

Tell me what you think and please feel free to suggest your own ideas!!

Thank you :)

• Like 1

Now, I don't have any specific ideas in mind, because I wanted everyone to have their own say in this since it is worldwide). I think we should all have a part in this and we should collaborate to find the right project! ^_^

Hello! 

Certainly yes, "worldwide" CAS projects do sound interesting (there was someone who was doing a worldwide journal not long ago here). However, I have an issue with the part of your post that I have quoted: While it is worldwide and collaborative, it is still your CAS project. You will be receiving the bulk of the credit for it. Instead of telling people that you'll decide on an idea together (which sounds suspiciously like you want people to give you ideas :P), its better for you to decide an idea on your own and then discuss with the participants how to better execute it, improve the idea, etc! 

Now, I don't have any specific ideas in mind, because I wanted everyone to have their own say in this since it is worldwide). I think we should all have a part in this and we should collaborate to find the right project! ^_^

Certainly yes, "worldwide" CAS projects do sound interesting (there was someone who was doing a worldwide journal not long ago here). However, I have an issue with the part of your post that I have quoted: While it is worldwide and collaborative, it is still your CAS project. You will be receiving the bulk of the credit for it. Instead of telling people that you'll decide on an idea together (which sounds suspiciously like you want people to give you ideas :P), its better for you to decide an idea on your own and then discuss with the participants how to better execute it, improve the idea, etc! 

Hi!

Thank you for that. You're definitely right - I should have picked something beforehand. I just didn't know how to approach such a big CAS project. I guess I just thought that if everyone worked together to find an idea it would be more collaborative. 

Thanks again :) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, I know its nearly a month since you posted but at our school we've just started thinking about CAS and I want to do an international project too :)

We have a few ideas, mainly involving women's education and rights in middle eastern countries; where are you based?

Hi!

I'm super happy you answered :) I'm in Canada, if that's what you're asking?

Hi I'd love to be a part of this! If you're doing a video collaboration with contributions from many countries perhaps an outline of what you would like to have sent in would be helpful in keep the video flowing. e.g. 2 mins long, state your name and country, etc. By the way, I'm from Canada as well, so I may be able to help you more with actually putting this all together. :)

I would make a website and have a tab for every continent or country and allow people to post their countries successes and failures through photography and video but also stories and poems etc. 

I love this idea!

I think it would be best to have a tab for every continent, and maybe a drop-down menu for the countries. If we do get a lot of people involved, there would be too many tabs.

I think we should stick to videos as actual proof that the students have done something - like we could talk on camera or something?

However, because this is the IB program, this project has to have a goal. I like the idea of successes and failures, but like my English teacher says: "So what?". What are we trying to show or prove? If people just post photos and poems, for example, what purpose does it serve?

There are the 8 CAS outcomes:

• Increase awareness of  strengths and areas for growth
  • Undertake new challenges
  • Plan and initiate activities
  • Working collaboratively with others
  • Show perseverance and commitment in activities
  • Engage with issues of global importance
  • Consider the ethical implications of your actions
  • Develop new skills

Obviously it would touch the global part, but what is the importance? Do you guys see where I'm going with this?

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, I just want to get everything right :)

Also, thanks to everyone who is interested! Feel free to shoot ideas :D

• Like 1

Hey everyone ^_^ ,

I find your ideas greaaaaat! I thought we could show how the people from our country deal with certain serious topics/issues. For instance (I'm going to take my case as an example), if the topic was about the environment, I could show how people care about the environment in Senegal through photographs and videos.

We could also publish an ibsurvival international magazine  :hehe:  :hehe: .

^_^

Edited by Youss

Hey everyone ^_^ ,

I find your ideas greaaaaat! I thought we could show how the people from our country deal with certain serious topics/issues. For instance (I'm going to take my case as an example), if the topic was about the environment, I could show how people care about the environment in Senegal through photographs and videos.

We could also publish an ibsurvival international magazine  :hehe:  :hehe: .

^_^

Thanks for your reply :D

I like the environment idea!! Are there any other serious topics/issues that anyone else has in mind? :) Or perhaps another subject (I don't know, like traditions or something)?

Edited by ouribjourney
  • Like 1

Hey guys! An international CAS project sounds amazing, im in!! I think the idea of an international magazine sounds pretty exciting. The video idea is also pretty cool showing different aspects of the worlds and what each country struggles with, or the nature/tradition of each country! 

hey! so there's this facebook page we've already made to plan these sort of things, contact Mr. Purple Monkey to get included in the group!

I think we should also make an e-mailing list, because I don't have Facebook and I wouldn't be able to keep track with everyone...  :mellow: Also, Mr. Purple Monkey is for the other CAS project that was started after I originally posted mine here.

Hey guys! An international CAS project sounds amazing, im in!! I think the idea of an international magazine sounds pretty exciting. The video idea is also pretty cool showing different aspects of the worlds and what each country struggles with, or the nature/tradition of each country! 

So maybe a magazine including either the traditions or struggles/successes of a country. We could divide the magazine into sections by continent, then country. So people would make sort of an article, and then we'd put it all together. How cool would it be to print it and then distribute it into various IB schools? :D

Edited by ouribjourney

Cool :) I'll start the e-mailing list, since I started this project. If everyone could send me a private message with their e-mail (for privacy reasons - this is a public forum, after all) or put their e-mail here, that'd be great! I'll give you guys until maybe the end of this week, so I can be sure everyone has seen this message :) Once I send the e-mail, I will post here again, just to make sure everyone has received it. 

I'm so glad a lot of people from around the world are interested :D Don't forget to tell your friends!

Also, we still have to decide on either a magazine or a website, and successes/failures or traditions

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

Interested in doing thisï¼ I am from China.

Hey, I'm Izabel and think this idea sounds cool as well, I'm from sweden by the way.

Ok guys, so I have officially sent out an e-mail! Please check your junk folder in case it doesn't show up in your inbox!