MAY 2015 TOK ESSAY PRESCRIBED TITLES

georgia-a

Hey guys,

I just saw the tok essay prescribed titles and thought to share in case someone hasn't seen them yet. What do you think of this year's questions? Do you like/dislike any in particular? 

I can't choose from any myself. They all seem confusing and absurd...

1.There is no such thing as a neutral question. Evaluate this statement with reference to two areas

of knowledge.

2. “There are only two ways in which humankind can produce knowledge: through passive

observation or through active experiment.†To what extent do you agree with this statement?

3. “There is no reason why we cannot link facts and theories across disciplines and create a common

groundwork of explanation.†To what extent do you agree with this statement?

4. With reference to two areas of knowledge discuss the way in which shared knowledge can shape

personal knowledge.

5. “Ways of knowing are a check on our instinctive judgments.†To what extent do you agree with

this statement?

6. “The whole point of knowledge is to produce both meaning and purpose in our personal lives.â€

To what extent do you agree with this statement?

http://www.theoryofknowledge.net/tok-essay/may-2015-tok-essay-titles/

• Like 2

I have to say, some of those questions would be really interesting to discuss. Too bad I don't do TOK anymore. 

Personally, if I had to write an essay, I would probably go with Q-3. It is quite a strong question as it says quite firmly "there is NO reason". 

To start with, I'd explore the kinds of assumptions made in different areas of knowledge, and how that might make it harder to move facts/theories around. 

I'm not really liking the word "Fact" because you could probably go on forever arguing over what is a fact and what isn't. 

Q-

2 would be really interesting as well, especially looking at Literature (as an art) and whether that counts as passive observation or active experimenting. 

I agree with IBfreakingout! Question 3 is definitely an interesting question to pursue. Depending on how you go about it, you can either agree with the 'no reason' or you can disagree with it. But either way, you'd be researching different AOKs to assess your evaluation.

I also liked question 1, since we ourselves ask questions, and we never really stop to think whether they are neutral; since most questions are asked to evoke a response for one side or the other. The question gives you the opportunity to explore this across different AOKs. 

But in the end, its also what you're most comfortable answering and researching for.

Good luck :) 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...