UK IB

Hi guys

Today is my 3rd day of the IB diploma. I'm doing HL Bio, chem and econ and I am doing SL English, French and maths studies. I feel as though I'm struggling already and although I'm trying really hard to grasp things some subjects such as biology Im finding really complex and hard (we are doing biological molecules currently). Also there seems to be a lot of content to learn and my biology teacher goes through things really fast and Im finding it hard to keep up. At (I)GCSE I got 9A*s and 2As but I find this really hard. To anyone who does biology find bio molecules a hard topic and one of the hardest in the syllabus or not? I really hope I can do well in the IB diploma but am worrying about all the complex new theories and definitions. Does it get easier over time and does everyone struggle at first??

Thanks for your time :) 

I wouldn't say it's a hard topic but it was one of my most hated. You basically just have to learn it off by heart, there's no real understanding involved. I'm not a fan of that sort of stuff either. But it's not possible to struggle with something after 3 days - trust me, you've got 2 years to get the hang of it! And yes there's a lot to learn, but you'll learn it. Everybody does :P

Doing Chemistry will help make you immune to memorising chemical structures soon enough.

I have bio on SL, but we have lessons with the HL students as of right now so we have the same material. Personally, I find molecules as one of the hardest topics mostly because of the huge amount of details you have to memorize in a short period. However, it's also a bit about getting used to loads of information being given to you on the lessons and first days are really hard. The first couple of lessons in bio were a struggle for me as well, I felt like I was the only one who couldn't grasp any of that but fortunately that's normal. It does get easier over time because you simply get used to it  ;)

If it's not going to be any easier for you, you can always consider switching to something else but beginnings are always hard and you still have two years   :D

Thanks for all your info, really is much appreciated. I mean I'm finding chem and econ not bad at all so far (we've just finished metallic bonding in chem and in the middle of PPCs in economics) and maths studies seems just a bit harder than the IGCSE so hopefully it'll all go well. Glad to hear that this is normal as the others in my bio class seem to be grasping the topic rather fast and I was just confused half the time. But thanks for taking time to reply to me and fast as well :)