Film/Television Extended Essay

BraveSirRobin

[bleh sorry duplicate thread]

Hello!

I am beginning work on my Extended Essay in the Film/Television category, and would like some advice about my research question.  I would like to look at how the TV series "Jeeves and Wooster" portrays its source material, P.G. Wodehouse's stories.  I will likely limit this to one or two episodes, or one of the original stories.  My tentative research question is as follows:

To what extent does "Jeeves and Wooster" successfully convey the ideas of P.G. Wodehouse's stories, and how does it augment those ideas through its use of the film medium?

A couple thoughts I already have about it:

- Maybe change "ideas" to something more specific like "humour" or "social commentary"?

- Once I'm certain of the episode/stories I would use, I'd specify them in the question?

And some ideas I had for main topics to discuss:

- Mise-en-scene (placement of characters for example, especially the intimidating elders relative to Bertie)

- Performances by actors (especially Laurie's character's nervousness [compare to his narration in the book], Fry's relaxed performance, or Elizabeth Morton's performance as the scatterbrained Madeline in 3x04)

- Musical choice (if possible I may try to contact the composer)

- Camera (I mainly noticed the dulled, muted colours)

- Possibly the various activities shown at the Drones club.

- Episode 3x03 (the one with the Broadway musical) is especially interesting because there are a lot of purely visual elements that must have been handled at least somewhat differently in the book.

Even if you have never seen the show or read the stories, please provide some advice about the question!  Thank you for any opinions or advice offered!

Edited by BraveSirRobin