Further Mathematics study group/club

Aleksejs Popovs

Hi guys!

Just a little bit of personal background: I started the IBDP at Riga State Gymnasium #1 in Latvia 5 days ago. I'm taking Mathematics HL as my Group 5 subject, and also taking Further Mathematics HL as an additional subject (i.e., not included on the diploma). I love mathematics and have some background in Computer Science, which seems to be quite relevant in the Discrete Mathematics Option, with all the graph algorithms and what not. I also probably know almost all of the Calculus Option thanks to Robert Ghrist's (UPenn) wonderful Single Variable Calculus Coursera course I took this summer.

My school does not have an FM teacher, so I'm left (almost) on my own, with only books to help me (although I guess I should also be able to get limited support from my Maths teacher). I seem to be the only person taking FM this year, although I have a friend who is in his second year now and also taking FM, and two of my classmates are cautiously considering joining me.

Since FM is considered quite a challenging course, and is made even harder due to the recently changed syllabus (as far as I know, there isn't even a single textbook covering the syllabus for 2014's exams), I thought that it might be cool to form a little sort of a study group with my fellow IB students who are also taking FM. It could be just a thread here, a group on Facebook, a chat in Whatsapp, an IRC chatroom or even a mailing list, I don't really care, but it would be a place where we would share our progress, interesting findings and frustrations, as well as offer advice and encouragement to each other.

I might also have a few relevant textbooks that I might be able to share in a more private setting.

So, is anyone interested? 

• Like 6

Hey there!

My school too started recently. I take Math HL but I am considering to take FM. The reason I am stopping myself from taking FM is that I plan to pursue corporate law and so FM would be an unnecessary burden.  :confused:

Edited by Knight

Hey there!

My school too started recently. I take Math HL but I am considering to take FM. The reason I am stopping myself from taking FM is that I plan to pursue corporate law and so FM would be an unnecessary burden.  :confused:

I, personally, am planning to pursue a career in Mathematics. Although the IBO says that Mathematics HL is sufficient for that, I find enjoyment and beauty in Maths, which is exactly why I'm taking FM (and I really want to play around with that Sets, Relations and Groups Option, but they only teach Calculus at my school!). And hey, since it's not on my diploma, it's not like I'm really risking anything (except for the time I could devote to other subjects, of course).

If you, too, think of doing Mathematics as something enjoyable, I'd recommend you to at least take a look at the syllabus for FM and maybe give it a try.

• Like 1

If I take FM HL will it replace Math HL or will I have to take separate classes for FM?

Let me quote the syllabus here:

All categories of student can register for mathematics HL only or for further mathematics HL only or for both. However, students registering for further mathematics HL will be presumed to know the topics in the core syllabus of mathematics HL and to have studied one of the options, irrespective of whether they have also registered for mathematics HL.

Hi guys,

I don't do Further Math HL (I really wish I could but my school won't let me). But I would love to join you guys as an addition if you don't mind :) I personally love mathematics a lot too. 

Great! You are, without a doubt, welcome here.

I am currently working my way through the chapters corresponding to Topic 4 — Sets, Relations and Groups in the IB Mathematics HL textbook by Ibrahim Wazir and Tim Garry (published by Pearson in 2012). It seems to me that this topic is a fairly good choice for the beginning of the year (at least in my case of self-study), because it's got pretty much no dependencies on other core topics or options.

Edited by Aleksejs Popovs

Hi guys,

I'm Ronak.I started my IBDP at Dhirubhai Ambani International School,Mumbai,India last month.I've taken Maths HL as of now and I plan to take FM .My school does not teach Further Maths but does administer exams.I do not know if I will be allowed permission for FM or not,but I hope I will.Moreover with no textbook available for the new HL course studying for this course has become even harder.My subjects are-Maths,Physics,Chem at HL and English A Lang&Lit,Hindi B and Economics at SL.

I like a idea of a group or something where we can interact with each other.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

I will (most likely) start doing Further Mathematics pretty soon. Do any of you recommend any specific books for this course? I would like to start as soon as possible.

Here's the fun thing about the new (first exams this year) syllabus: there are no books on it yet :)

The FM syllabus essentially consists of all four options from the Maths HL syllabus (one of which you're supposed to cover in your Maths HL class) and two additional topics, Linear Algebra and Geometry. For the options, you can use any Maths HL book that has them, such as the Pearson one I mentioned above. As for Linear Algebra and Geometry, you could either try using generic books on these subjects or an older Further Mathematics book. In either case, use the syllabus to keep track of the stuff you're supposed to learn.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

Just a little bit of personal background: I started the IBDP at Riga State Gymnasium #1 in Latvia 5 days ago. I'm taking Mathematics HL as my Group 5 subject, and also taking Further Mathematics HL as an additional subject (i.e., not included on the diploma). I love mathematics and have some background in Computer Science, which seems to be quite relevant in the Discrete Mathematics Option, with all the graph algorithms and what not. I also probably know almost all of the Calculus Option thanks to Robert Ghrist's (UPenn) wonderful Single Variable Calculus Coursera course I took this summer.

My school does not have an FM teacher, so I'm left (almost) on my own, with only books to help me (although I guess I should also be able to get limited support from my Maths teacher). I seem to be the only person taking FM this year, although I have a friend who is in his second year now and also taking FM, and two of my classmates are cautiously considering joining me.

Since FM is considered quite a challenging course, and is made even harder due to the recently changed syllabus (as far as I know, there isn't even a single textbook covering the syllabus for 2014's exams), I thought that it might be cool to form a little sort of a study group with my fellow IB students who are also taking FM. It could be just a thread here, a group on Facebook, a chat in Whatsapp, an IRC chatroom or even a mailing list, I don't really care, but it would be a place where we would share our progress, interesting findings and frustrations, as well as offer advice and encouragement to each other.

I might also have a few relevant textbooks that I might be able to share in a more private setting.

So, is anyone interested? 

I will (most likely) start doing Further Mathematics pretty soon. Do any of you recommend any specific books for this course? I would like to start as soon as possible.

Firstly, I think this is a great idea. I really hope this takes off. I've recently worked through the F Math HL stuff in preparation for uni, so if you guys need some help, I might be able to help. 

Also, regarding textbooks... This might help: http://www.haesemathematics.com.au/book.asp?book=ibhloptions-2

• Like 1

Oh, and another question: What's the real difference between Further Mathematics SL and HL?

FM SL is an old course that no longer exists. Since the 2014 exams there was a large syllabus change which added more content made it an HL subject.

What kind of content, exactly? 

Forgot to mention but like Yii Yann, while I didn't take the course I do know most of the content so I can probably help out a bit. I'll be checking this thread when I can and I'll be happy to help with anything that isn't geometry related. :)

In terms of textbooks, IIRC both the newer Pearson and Cambridge textbooks also have all the option chapters on a CD - so that's 4/6 topics. For Linear Algebra I'd presume a lot of introductory college-level textbooks would cover the content required, though at a slightly more rigorous standard. While I'm not sure if it's particularly well suited for FM because it covers a lot more than necessary, I really liked and would recommend Linear Algebra Done Wrong by Sergei Triel for learning the theory, which is a free e-book.

What kind of content, exactly?

Just extra stuff, linear algebra was added and every other topic had a number of subtopics added (and some removed). It doesn't really matter though, you just need to make sure you've covered everything that's listed on the current syllabus.

Edited by ctrls
  • Like 2

In terms of textbooks, IIRC both the newer Pearson and Cambridge textbooks also have all the option chapters on a CD - so that's 4/6 topics. 

This is true! I'm currently studying from the Pearson 2012 Maths HL book's chapters on options (they are only available in digital form, but come free with the purchase of a hardcopy although there are also other ways to obtain them).

While I'm not sure if it's particularly well suited for FM because it covers a lot more than necessary, I really liked and would recommend Linear Algebra Done Wrong by Sergei Triel for learning the theory, which is a free e-book.

I'll check it out, thanks! Covering more is better than covering less anyway (btw, after doing UPenn's online Calculus course, I was quite disappointed to find that the IB syllabus doesn't include big-O notation).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!!!

I just started my IBDP 2 months ago. I only heard about further maths about 3 weeks back, but I've already requested permission to write it in 2016 while doing it self taught(I'm still awaiting my coordinator's verdict though) and so I would really love to join your discussions/group because I really have no clue where to start, but I'm keen to get it on.

I am still a bit confused about how they will allocate the points though if I take the further maths along with maths hl, does that mean it is possible for my points to exceed 45 or what???

Your input will be much appreciated!!! :D

Edited by JiGGie

Hi guys!!!

I just started my IBDP 2 months ago. I only heard about further maths about 3 weeks back, but I've already requested permission to write it in 2016 while doing it self taught(I'm still awaiting my coordinator's verdict though) and so I would really love to join your discussions/group because I really have no clue where to start, but I'm keen to get it on.

I am still a bit confused about how they will allocate the points though if I take the further maths along with maths hl, does that mean it is possible for my points to exceed 45 or what???

Your input will be much appreciated!!! :D

If you take Further Mathematics as a 7th subject you will obtain a certificate separated from your diploma, which is a transcript with the grade you will obtain, whilst the rest of your subjects will be in another certificate which will include a grade out of 45 (and so Further Math won't add up to the overall grade, it is something extra).

If you take it as part of your diploma (i.e. as one of your 6 usual subjects) then it will be included in the overall grade (i.e. in the 45).

I started IBDP last month. =-= At fist, I chooses Visual Art as my 6th subject, AND  FM as 7th.

My FM teacher did not allow me to drop Art until he can make sure Im able to do FM. 

I finished two topics with him before this half term. 

The first one is about Matrices, I got 5...Ive done well and got 7 in the second topic which is  geometry.

I found that ,in the lessons, my FM teachers would like to go through notes very quickly, and give so much homework.

After school, u need to finish ur HM, find questions, and ask him . It really likes self- taught....with an online teacher.. 

However, in year11, Im the only one who chose FM  so...I try to find partners online 

well,,,I don't have the text book. For the Matrices, my teacher gave me the second edition of the HL IB maths books which includes the content of matrices, but now it's not in the syllabus anymore. 

--Wish you guys can understand my poor English :balloon:

• 1 month later...