Chemistry HL vs Math HL

Sriram Siddarth

Over two weeks ago, I switched from Visual Arts HL to Chemistry HL so I have some experience with it. Although I haven't tried Mathematics HL, few of my friends chose it and most of them dropped to standard level. Maths HL is really tough, you get a lot of homework and the core requirements are a lot higher and you need go a lot deeper into many topics. Generally the trend is that no one takes it on HL unless it's their university's requirement or they really enjoy it (however I've never met anyone like that  :clap: ).

When it comes to Chemistry, I have more personal experience so I can tell you that it's easier (of course in my opinion, cause it's always subjective). Advantages here would be that the range of majors you can apply for after IB is more broad. And I think Chemistry is actually quite enjoyable. You get to perform experiments, obviously you have to write reports afterwards and know a lot of chemical equations but it's usually a matter of getting used to it. 

If I were to make that choice, I'd go with Chemistry but it depends on you the most. Remember to do what you like most because therefor it's easier to learn and also choose what's going to help you get to your dream universities.  :D  :)

Advantages of HL math: Required for math-based careers such as actuarial science, engineering, computer science, physical sciences (physics, chemistry), and taking it allows entry into these sorts of programs. Teaches problem-solving skills, analytical skills, and logical approaches to solving problems.

Disadvantages of HL math: Very difficult for IB-level students. Time consuming.

Advantages of HL chemistry: Required for healthcare fields such as medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, veterinary science, biological sciences, materials science and chemical engineering (in conjunction with HL math), and taking it allows you to do these programs. Teaches problem-solving skills. Interesting.

Disadvantages of HL chemistry: Difficult for most IB level students. Also time consuming. Large amount of content.

Depending on what you want to do in uni, you may have to take one or both of these subjects. If you don't like them, or struggle with them now, then there is a very good chance that career is not for you.

• Like 1