Subject Dilemma!

AshaJ

I've got a slight issue. I've done chemistry higher level for the past three weeks and tbh it's not like what I imagined it to be, in other words, I'm not enjoying it half as much as I expected to. Therefore, switching to psychology seems like a logical idea since it's interesting and would probably reduce my workload as I don't want to go into the sciences (and I'm doing bio/chem HL atm). HOWEVER, doing so means switching to two class with inexperienced (IB) teachers (they're very experienced teachers though). Switching from chem hl to psych hl means that I'll need to change my biology class too. My current biology teacher is amazing and is an experienced IB examiner. My current chemistry teacher is freaking awesome and her results are beyond amazing (70% of her class last year got 7's). So you can understand my hesitation. However the other psych and bio teachers are really good teachers (or so I've been told) but the fact that they've never taught IB worries me. My school does work shops for other IB teachers across the world and therefore they've been thoroughly trained and probably know what they're doing.  But still.. I guess what I'm asking you guys is if it's worth the risk? I NEED to do well and I don't want to jeopardize my chances of doing so by switching into classes with inexperienced IB teachers.

I personally REALLY REALLY want to switch into psychology especially after I've been told I need to do ''mini'' extended essays (2000 words) in BOTH sciences for my IA's. I know I won't be able to do that. It's honestly not my thing and I personally feel that psychology would suit me better as I've come to realize that essay based subjects are more in line with my strengths.

P.S. Switching into psychology won't affect my chances of getting into the uni courses of my choice.

Thanks (and sorry for the very long post).

Edited by AshaJ

So I think you should definitely switch! I completely understand your worries about inexperienced teachers since my entire IB school is inexperienced (that's not even a joke, 40% of students don't graduate). You can always study on your own and you'll get really good results (that's what most of my friends have done when they had crappy teachers, and they were perfectly fine). If you feel like chem and bio are not for you then you should definitely switch because if you have both of them on HL it might turn into a nightmare later on.

If it's not going to affect your university admission then you should take the subjects you feel comfortable with, and don't worry about the teachers. Sometimes teachers really matter because their explanation is very necessary for some subjects but in general if it's psychology and physics and you have a well-written book, you should do just fine.

But if you feel really stressed about them being really bad then you should follow your instincts and maybe not switch. But, like I said, I don't think it's going to be half as bad as you think, don't worry!!!  :blowkiss:  :blowkiss:  :blowkiss:

70% get 7s? Wow... I'm going to have trouble saying you should switch, but... if you really want to and it won't affect what you want to do in your future, then switch. If you think you have too much work, it is reasonable to switch to a better class. 

And as far as those IAs go, my chem IA that did very well 2500 words. It didn't actually take too long though, I spent a lot less time then other people. It is important to remember that every single number also counts as a word in the word count, so all of your data will contribute. If for some reason you think that your teacher has ridiculous standards, remember that 70% get 7s and that if she is grading too harshly or something, she will be moderated. But, switch if that's not the class you want.

For some reason I can't quote... :hmmm:

@artisticsoul1 Thanks for the advice. I agree, I should switch into psychology. I'm just more interested in it now (for some reason) and I've always been an independent learner so that shouldn't be an issue.

@thrastmaster I know, haah I couldn't believe it myself. As enticing as it to stay in chemistry I honestly don't think i'll do as well as I''m aiming for because i want to do psychology instead.

I guess the IA's aren't all that bad but the thing is that they've made drastic changes to the science (biology, chemistry, physics) IA's for the may 2016 syllabus. We're basically required to do a personal project that's got to be 2000 words in length. I don't mind doing one of those but I honestly don't want to do TWO of them. :P

I'm going to take psychology. Thanks for all your input.