Downloads and Help...

Graeme

Ok, I have to admit that I found this forum when searching for history EE examples, and yes, I did join essentially to access the examples available on it, but I also planned (and still do) on making use of the forum to talk to other people in IB because besides the other kids in IB at my school, I don't actually know other people who are in the program. I don't really like the idea of having to make X posts in Y period of time or else you get deleted, because, personnally, I don't really care too much about how many posts I've made, so I'm not going to be aiming for a post quota. And if there are other people like me who only post when they have something to say, deleting them because they're not saying enough kind of defeats the purpose of creating a forum to encourage discussion between IB students. At least that's how I feel.

Thanks for the suggestion. Basically now the issue is solved, more or less.

And no, I don't think we're going to be as strict as having to have a post quota. That is just silly. It's just that there are people who have registered for months and not say anything. Or worst, those who have registered for months and not even validated their account yet. We may have a way to deal with those people but of course we're going to be reasonable about it.

Can I stress this: there is nothing wrong with wanting to download the files. We knew there was a demand and that's why we're supplying them. But we hope everyone understand why we have to have restrictions on our downloads. If you do basic economics - it's simple. The supply is low, and cost of production is high, while demand is high relative to supply, the price is going to have to be high.

That said, just to be clear, in case you missed the change in the FAQ:

There are actually 2 ways you can become VIP: either you get 50 posts (non-spam. Spam will be deleted) and get automatically promoted or you make nice' date=' helpful posts and/or show that you can make good contributions to the community here and we (admins) add you to VIP regardless of your post count.

In English, that essentially just means you participate in the community and discussions and not spam. :punish: Spamming (with conscience) in Chat is ok-ish since it doesn't count to your post count but outside is a no-no.[/quote']

A lot of the stuff here took a very long time to do (notes' date=' etc) and we feel that the least people can do is contribute in some way in return. Whether that is by giving advice to other people, or sharing information, or just hlpeing out in some way, we just want to feel like the community gets something in return.[/quote']

I hope that clears things up.

• 9 months later...

Hey, one comment: delete this topic! Now you've just given the whole *50 post to VIPdom* away.

It might be a good idea to have a conversation like this hidden from all of us non-VIP members, or all of the planned incentives which are based on a lack of transparency disappear.

You may want to have a system of tracking and warning those who get to 50 posts and then suddenly stop posting, whilst still downloading anything they can get their hands on.

Nothing to give away there, 50 legitimate posts means VIP, it's no secret. If we do find someone abusing the system, we can make sure they don't reach VIP, but this way the legitimate users have a fairer chance to gain VIP status.