Economics Graph Help!

Guest heartarcade

Guest heartarcade

So I'm doing my IA on microeconomics.. and I was wondering if you can move both the supply and demand curves at the same time? My understanding is that you can't but in the example that the IBO gives out (the one that was awarded full marks) the person moved both.

[quote name='heartarcade' post='22409' date='Aug 23 2008, 02:48 PM']So I'm doing my IA on microeconomics.. and I was wondering if you can move both the supply and demand curves at the same time? My understanding is that you can't but in the example that the IBO gives out (the one that was awarded full marks) the person moved both.[/quote]

You have to refer back to your textbook or notes. How would u apply a shift in any of the curves? There are factors right? Like for demand curves, Complement and substittute goods would shift your demand curve and cost of production would also shift the supply curve. So if both happen in one scenario, then im sure u can shift both.
Perhaps u are confused with change in demand curve and change in quantity demanded?

Guest heartarcade

[quote name='pretty_ah_boi' post='22467' date='Aug 23 2008, 04:36 PM']You have to refer back to your textbook or notes. How would u apply a shift in any of the curves? There are factors right? Like for demand curves, Complement and substittute goods would shift your demand curve and cost of production would also shift the supply curve. So if both happen in one scenario, then im sure u can shift both.
Perhaps u are confused with change in demand curve and change in quantity demanded?[/quote]

Thanks, I understand the difference between the movement along the curve and the movement of the curve.. but I was just curious.. because in the textbook it said not to move them at the same time (I think) .. but in the example commentary they moved them both.

[quote name='heartarcade' post='22521' date='Aug 23 2008, 07:56 PM']but in the example commentary they moved them both.[/quote]

It might have been a case of combining graphs. I personally had graphs where both D and S shifted, but that was so that the overall presentation of the commentary was better.